'72 Summer Enrollment Declines by 10 Per Cent

By Peter Shapiro

Enrollment in the Summer School appears to have dropped for the third year in a row.

Although registration for the Summer School is not yet complete, the total number of students enrolled is 300 less than at this time last year.

Thomas E. Crooks '49, director of the Summer School, said that enrollment figures may continue to rise during the next week until they reach last year's total. He said that a delay in the registration of many students may have been caused by the coincidence of the Independence Day holidays and the registration period.

"I am sure that there are more coming," Crooks said. "Every year it starts out slow like this."

As of yesterday, 3526 people were registered in the Summer School. By the same time last year, over 3800 students had registered. The total enrollment eventually reached 3970.

Enrollment in the Summer School reached its peak in 1969, when about 5000 students attended. Since then enrollment has dropped steadily, averaging a 10 per cent drop each year.

Unlike Harvard and Radcliffe Colleges, the Summer School does not have selective admissions, and accepts nearly any college student who applies. The reduction in the number of students attending the Summer School can be attributed to waning student interest.

Leonard W. Homberg, registrar of the Summer School, said that summer schools throughout the nation have been experiencing a reduction in attendance similar to the drop here.

"Students just don't seem to want to spend their summers studying like they used to," Holmberg said.