600 Enter Chem 20 Heat of Pre-Med Pentathlon

NEWS FEATURE

By Robin Freedberg

Once again the five-hurdle race to attain a coveted place in one of this country's medical schools is in full swing.

All indications are that the enrollment in Chem 20--Organic Chemistry--will rise to over 600 this year, perhaps passing last year's figure by as much as 200.

Many still consider a pre-med's grade in Chem 20 to be the decisive factor in a bid for med-school admission.

Professor David H. Dolphin, who is teaching half the students taking the course this year, notes that the "work habits developed for Chem 20 are similar to those required in medical school, and presumably the knowledge gained in the course is useful there."

Chem 20 is required for concentration in Biology, Biochemistry and Chemistry. A solid majority of these concentrators appear to have medical school aspirations.

Despite the division of the course into two alphabetically-determined sections this year, both lecture halls in Mallinckrodt have been filled to capacity thus far. The two sections--taught simultaneously by Professors Dolphin and William Doering--will have separate hourlies, problem sets and final exams.

To the surprise of many of this year's Harvard returnees, the prerequisites for Chem 20 have been overhauled, presumably to reduce the unmanageable size of the course. The new prerequisites require a third of a page of explanation in the catalogue.

And yet, this year may be the easiest ever to attain admission to Chem 20.

Essentially, the Nat Sci 3 grade requirement has been upped to a B. However, an upperclassman who has failed to secure admission along that line or by a C minimum grade in Chem 6, may qualify for Chem 20 by scoring at least 700 on the Harvard Chemistry Placement Exam.

A freshman may also enroll, regardless of advanced placement, if he received a minimum score of 750 on his CEEB or Harvard Chem Placement Test.

CHEM 20

Students failing to meet the new prerequisites for Chem 20 and still interested in enrolling please see Professor Doering.

However, due to the abruptness of the prerequisite policy change, students who have been adversely affected by the new requirements may find it easier than ever to talk themselves into the course.

The suggestion that performance in Nat Sci 3 or Chem 6 is a perfect indicator of projected performance in Chem 20 is dubious. Dolphin has iterated the very cumulative nature of the material within the Chem 20 curriculum.

Many have also noted the irrelevance of most of both Nat Sci 3 and Chem 6 to the Chem 20 curriculum.

While there has been an overall decline in Harvard Summer School course enrollment. 200 students registered for Chem S-20, the compact course in organic chemistry offered last summer.

Enrollment in most of the other courses taken to fulfill the four additional pre-med hurdles has increased comparably this year, with the possible exception of Physics 1.

The unusually high percentage of incoming freshmen pre-meds may account substantially for the enrollment increases.

Professor Bamberg has also noted that a percentage of physics concentrators have in very recent years opted to attend medical school. Something unknown in the past. This is largely attributed to the post-doctorate job squeeze