Faculty Surprised, Passers-by Amused

Faculty Opinion Is Divided Over Resignation's Effect

By Robin Freedberg and The CRIMSON Staff

Harvard faculty members differed sharply today on the effects Vice President Agnew's resignation would have on Nixon, his administration and the American public.

Some faculty members were surprised and others relieved by Agnew's announcement.

Although they disagreed on whether Nixon would benefit or suffer as a result of his vice president's resignation, most faculty members contacted by The Crimson late this afternoon agreed that Agnew's move would have a strong impact on the administration's ability to conduct the affairs of government and on public faith in its elected officials and their appointed assistants.

Don K. Price, dean of the Kennedy School of Government, said he was "astounded" by the announcement of the vice president's resignation and called it a "damaging blow to the president and the presidency."

"This is the first time in history a vice president has been caught dead to right committing illegal acts and forced to resign," Price said. "It is fortunate that Vice President Agnew made the decision to resign and spare the government lots of disastrous strain."

But William Schneider, assistant professor of Government, called the resignation a "strong dose of cynicism for the American public."

"The shocking thing is that Agnew can defend himself so strongly for so long and then suddenly throw in the towel," Schneider said. "If he can switch gears so fast, the public can't believe anyone anymore."

"It's clear the president has surrounded himself with dishonest characters, Schneider explained. "And now the best one has proven himself to be misleading the public."

Seymour Martin Lipset, professor of Government and Social Relations, termed the resignation "interesting" and said that he felt it would divert pressure from President Nixon.

Corrupt

"It's obviously unfortunate when the vice president of the United States turns out to be corrupt," Lipset said. "But I think this, combined with the Mideast war, will go a long way to taking Nixon off the hook."

Frank B. Freidel, professor of History, said that he was "shocked that the vice president was willing to plead guilty to the crimes."

"It is a calamity for the nation that a man in such a high office could become involved in such serious antisocial acts," Friedel said.

But Martin Shapiro, professor of Government, looked at the Agnew resignation from another perspective.

"I'm glad [the resignation] happened now," he said, "because I view Judge Hoffman's order to allow Agnew to investigate the Justice Department as not illegal, but not a very wise move, particularly in the light of the first amendment issue."