Princeton Clobbers Radcliffe In Lopsided Field Hockey Tilt

By James Cramer

Princeton's field hockey team humiliated a weak Radcliffe squad, 9-1, last Saturday behind Watson Rink, in a game featuring remarkable Tiger coordination and stamina.

The Tigers controlled the action throughout the game, scoring five times in the first half and four in the second. Maude Wood notched the 'Cliffe's only tally early in the first half.

'Cliffe Coach Pippi O'Conner described the Princeton powerhouse as "the best team I have seen in a long time." She added, "I wasn't optimistic about the outcome from the beginning but I didn't think it would be this bad."

Tiger forwards Louise Meldein and Gutsy Johns provided most of the offense, firing six goals past beleaguered goalie Barbie Matson. Princeton's Emily Goodfellow's two goals and Hermine Rogers's solo tally rounded out the Tiger scoring.

Matson tried to explain the losses as a combination of an overpowering offense and very efficient shooting. "Their offense was great and they just outplayed us," she said.

O'Conner blamed the 'Cliffe's lopsided loss on the team's lack of super stars. "We really don't have any outstanding players," she said.

But O'Conner emphasized that center half Nancy Sato and right winger Gwenn Mosley played well against the Tigers. "If I had to give an award for the most improved player, I would have to choose Mosley," O'Conner said.

The Radcliffe squad, now saddled with a 4-5 record, has a chance to even its log next Tuesday at Yale. "We will have to see what we can do between now and Tuesday," O'Conner said. "If we can recover it should be a pretty even game."

In second team action, the Princeton J.V.s repeated their scoring act, defeating Radcliffe, 9-0. Princeton forward Louise Gengler dominated the J.V. game, tallying four goals for the victorious Tigers.

The J.V. 'Cliffe squad held the Tigers to only two goals in the first half, but superior Tiger conditioning paid off in second half seven goal spree.