Ivy-Leading Brown Booters Trounce Weakened Crimson Eleven in 4-0 Tilt

By James Cramer

The Crimson booters lost, 4-0, Saturday in an overpowering game against the Bruins at Brown's Aldrich Dexter Field. The Bruins controlled the middle throughout the game, riddling an injury-weakened defense with 28 shots on goalies Steve Kidder and Jim McKenna.

Starting goalie Kidder had to be pulled from the line-up early in the second half because of injuries. "He was battered, belted, and knocked down, but played one of his best games of the year," head coach Bruce Munro said yesterday.

The Bruins, ranked number two in New England, didn't collect their first goal until 15 minutes into the first period. Ferdinand Treusacher, a second team all-Ivy selection last year, received a pass from midfield, and beat Kidder with a curling shot to the corner of the net.

Corner Kick

Brown lineman John Drew headed in a corner kick shot for Brown's second tally. "It was an unstoppable shot because Drew came running in on Kidder to make the head," assistant coach Seamus Malin said yesterday.

The Bruins showed no signs of slowing down in the second half when John Drew capitalized on a loose ball rolling in front of the goal mouth for a score 15 minutes into the period.

Jim McKenna, replacing the bruised Kidder after the third tally, fell victim to the Bruins final score, a shot by Bill Frost, Brown tri-captain, with ten minutes to go in the game. Frost received the ball on a through pass from midfield, and unloaded the ball before McKenna expected a shot.

The Harvard offense had to contend with a stingy Bruin defense and an injury-hampered lineup. "We went in hurting really bad, and it may sound like sour grapes but our team doesn't have enough materials as it is," Munro said.

The strong and fast Brown club--5-1 in the Ivy league, and 7-3-1 overall--is bound for post-season action in the NCAA tournament playoffs.

The shutout leaves the Harvard booters with a 3-6-2 record going into the Yale game at New Haven next Saturday. The Crimson, 2-2-1 in league play, will need a win against the Bulldogs to maintain their fifth place position in the Ivy standings.