Hall And Ma Bell Goof

BLUNDERS:

By Steven Luxenberg

It was a week of blunders.

Stephen S. J. Hall, vice president for administration, thought it might be nice to put new windows in Massachusetts Hall. But he did not reckon with the power of the Cambridge Common Historical Commission, and Hall's miscalculation may cost Harvard $18,000.

Just about a year ago, the University thought it might be nice to provide university-restricted phones located outside the Yard dorms and Houses. But Harvard did not reckon with a faculty computer, and that wayward computer may cost Ma Bell a bundle in unpaid long distance calls.

Hall's goof came after he had consulted the Historical Commission about the possibility of installing new windows in the famous 18th century structure knows as Mass Hall.

The building is located within the boundaries of a "historic district." The Historic Commission is charged with the responsibility of maintaining the colonial flavor of the district.

Before any changes can be made in building within the district, the building's owner must apply to the Commission for permission to make the alterations.

Hall followed the procedure, but did not obtain the Commission's written approval. After the Commission suggested changes in the window design, he ordered the windows from DeVac Co. in Minneapolis, Minn.

Since that time, the Commission has decided that the windows do not conform to the 18th century architecture of the district. And so $18,000 in windows sit in a Minneapolis warehouse. Hall commented: "I admit I was wrong. I goofed."

In a completely unrelated goof, Harvard students discovered a phone located outside Claverly could be used to make long distance calls. Word spread, and so did the calls. Ma Bell hooked up Claverly with San Francisco, Detroit, Mich., Brazil, and Europe.

And no one in the Centrex business office could even begin to figure out the bill.