Trackmen Blaze Past Passive Tigers

McCulloh, Kleigar Star

By James Cramer

Jim Kleigar vaulted to his first win in five months and John McCulloh cleared 6 ft., 10 in. in the high jump competition to give Harvard an 85-69 victory over the Tigers at Princeton on Saturday.

Kleigar and McCulloh paced a field offensive that resulted in more than half of the Crimson's tallies. "Overall we won the meet in the field," head coach Edgar Stowell said yesterday. "We swept them in the hammer, long jump and the high jump."

Stowell said yesterday that he was especially pleased with John McCulloh's performance because along with high jumping cohort Mel Embree the Crimson has one of the best one-two combinations in the East. McCulloh had been flirting with these heights all season and we knew all along he was capable of going that high."

Although Kleigar failed to go over 15 ft. in winning the pole vault competition, he did provide what Stowell considered to be the impetus for the win.

"It has been a long time since I've gotten off the ground and I was pretty rusty," Kleigar said after the meet. "I hadn't been mentally prepared to jump in the last few months and you've got to be completely psyched to vault well."

But McCulloh and Kleigar weren't the only thinclads to rack up honors against a surprisingly strong Princeton team. Vincent Vanderpool-Wallace as usual didn't let anybody down, taking top laurels in both the long and triple jumps. The consistent VPW leaped 23 ft., 11 3/4 in. in the long jump, and 48 ft., 1 1/4 in. in the triple event.

Sam Butler stole two victories in the hurdles, coming in at 15 seconds flat in the highs and 53.9 seconds in the intermediates. Stowell said that Butler had been nursing a leg injury, but he ran "two pretty tough races and got us a badly needed win."

Long distance man Ric Rojas and his partner Nick Leone accounted for a quick ten points with Rojas snapping the mile tape at 4.09.4 and Leone coming in at 49.4 in the quarter.

Kevin McCafferty and Steve Niemi pulled off respective victories in the shot put and hammer throws while Dan Jiggets logged his best distance in taking third place in both the hammer and the discus.

A very strong performance by Jim Springate in the half notched him his fastest time of 1:54 and a second place in front of 1:54.3-finisher Bill Okerman for the Crimson.

Joy at the Margin

Stowell said that overall he was "quite pleased" with the team's victory over the 0-7 Tiger squad.

"When we went down there we knew we were going to be in a tough meet," Stowell said. "If you eliminate our mile relay victory then we would have had only 80 points, and the least number of points you can have to win is 78, so it was pretty close."

The Harvard junior varsity team completed the rout of Princeton when it gave the Tiger J.V. an 89-51 drubbing.

The Crimson will return to home turf tomorrow for its first home meet in what seems like ages. Harvard will take on Yale with the field events starting at 12:30 p.m. and the running competition an hour later. The Crimson will run for its city title Thursday in the Greater Boston Championships at Boston College.