NAM Organizers Forsee Increase In Political Action

By Margaret A. Shapiro

The Radcliffe-Harvard New American Movement held its first meeting of the academic year last night to introduce prospective members to the two-and-a-half year old organization.

Peter A. Hogness '76, a NAM member, explained the group's activities and purpose to approximately ninety people in Grays Hall Common Room and said he expects a "significant increase in participation in radical activities this year."

NAM will continue to work with the Indochina Peace Campaign and the Chilean Action Group to demand the freeing of all political prisoners in both areas and will help sponsor a rally for Puerto Rican Independence on Monday October 6 with Angela Davis and Alfredo Lopez as speakers, Steven J. Carlip '75 said.

Other actions planned for these next few months include: continued boycotting and leafletting against stores selling non-union lettuce, grapes, or Gallo wine, allegedly including the Harvard Provision Company and the Broadway Supermarket; support of Harvard workers' demands; organizing women's sections for courses; and forming a study group on socialism and feminism.

Coleman P. Harrison '75 said a NAM committee on the class nature of education had not yet determined what actions should be taken to improve the male-female ratio between Harvard and Radcliffe and also to increase the number of women and radical professors.