Undergrade Leave 29 Garden St.

HOUSING

By James Cramer

It did not come as a surprise to most 29 Garden St. residents when Dean Whitlock announced this week that there will be no undergraduates in the former Hotel Continental next year.

But what did shock some of the undergraduates was the complicated masters decision to divide up Canaday Hall.

In order to accommodate some of the 37 South House affiliates eased out of the old Hotel Continental as well as squeezed sophomores from Eliot, Kirkland, Mather, Winthrop and Dunster Houses, the master delivered Canaday Hall from freshmen and split up the 210-person dorm into individual House entries.

Tight space in South House made the Canaday space available to the 29 Garden St. emigres, but dislocated North and Currier House people won't have as many options. Both Houses have enough space to handle all returnees.

While they were re-apportioning the one-year-old freshman dorm, the masters also bestowed Claverly on Adams, Lowell and Quincy Houses, for overflow sophomores.

By moving the undergraduates out of 29 Garden St. the Faculty saves the $200 subsidy that it now pays the Continental's owner, the Real Estate office, because it can charge graduate students more for living in the building.

The Faculty also frees the kitchen-equipped rooms for the use of graduate students, an originally planned.

Although most undergraduate reacted unfavorably to the idea of moving out, some South House affiliates have already decided to choose the Canaday option.

The problem of shifting the South House undergraduates to the Yard had its origins in the insistence of Ward M. Canaday '07 that his dorm be built in the Yard and not at Radcliffe, as the University requested.

The Housing Office had hoped that once the dorm was built at Radcliffe it would only be a short jaunt from the dorm to South House--rather than the eight-minute hike from the new dorm to the Quad that South House affiliates will be forced to take next year.