Weinberger Says Hiring Plan For Harvard Looks Promising

By Diane Sherlock

Caspar W. Weinberger '38, secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, yesterday described Harvard's affirmative action plan as a "promising and hopeful plan" which has so far shown "no violations or failures."

Speaking at HEW's second annual communications seminar, Weinberger told an audience of journalists that "the principle requirement in any affirmative action plan is not forced hiring of particular persons or groups but a broader recruitment policy and a reparation of the major gaps in hiring.

"So far as I am advised. Harvard is in full compliance with that." Weinberger said.

Harvard's affirmative action plan, officially accepted by HEW in November 1973, sets numerical goals for hiring minorities and women.

In questioning, Weinberger denied that his department is primarily a regulatory agency, adding that in setting policies the agency tries not "to force any decision at the local level."

William T. Logan, Regional Commissioner of Education, said at the seminar that "standardization" of the student files law also has to wait until "policy can be established."

Logan said that during the current 60-day comment period on the new law granting students access to their school files HEW will set guidelines to "interpret."

Although the HEW task force hearing complaints on the law may make recommendations to change it after the comment period ends on March 7, Logan said, "so far there has been little disagreement with the spirit of the laws. There have only been nuts and bolts questions."