Corporation Trims For Harvard Fellow List of Candidates

By H. JEFFREY Leonard

The new member of the Harvard Corporation to replace retiring Fellow Albert L. Nickerson '33 will probably be nominated at the November meeting of the Board of Overseers, two members of the Corporation subcommittee searching for a new fellow said Tuesday.

Nickerson originally said he would retire on July 1, but agreed last spring to remain with the Corporation until the fall.

George Putnam Jr. '49, Harvard treasurer and a member of the Corporation subcommittee, said Sunday that the list of candidates for Nickerson's position was narrowed to five to seven names during the summer.

Putnam said the names on the list will be officially brought before the Executive Committee of the Board of Overseers for discussion at the October 15 meeting.

Another member of the Corporation sub committee, F. Stanton Deland, former president of the Board of Overseers, said yesterday that the Overseers discussed the candidates at yesterday morning's meeting.

The final nomination for the new fellow should be made at the November meeting of the Overseers, Putnam said.

The original list of possible replacements for Nickerson included over 50 candidates. Although new fellows need not satisfy any formal requirements, President Bok outlined to the Overseers last March some of the desirable qualities for Nickerson's replacements.