...As 'Cliffe Teams Go One for Three

Racquetwomen Defeat Brown; Roberts Sets Pace in 7-2 Win

By Marc M. Sadowsky

The Radcliffe tennis team victimized its Brown counterpart, 7-2, Saturday in the Palmer Dixon courts. The team's only losses came at first singles and first doubles.

The onslaught began with Sally Roberts's impressive 6-3, 6-1, victory at second singles. Roberts's opponent, Julie McClure, started serving the match, and she proceded to double-fault the first two points and lose the game.

Roberts pounded the ball constantly, hitting deep cross-court shots which forced McClure to hit short shots, a situation Roberts took advantage of.

Denise Thal, playing at number one, dropped her match to Nancy Fuld, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2. Thal's roommate and doubles partner, tennis captain Lissa Mascatine, said Thal was surprised she played so well against Fuld, who is considered to be very strong.

"She was surprised, excited and bewildered that she was beating that girl," Muscatine said yesterday. "She was a little mind-blown that she took a set," she added.

Muscatine, at number three, fared better than Thal, downing her opponent, Jayne Gurland, 7-5, 6-4. Muscatine played her match without the benefit of contact lenses, which she usually wears during matches.

Muscatine had played her two previous matches without the contacts, but both took place outside. "It's really hard to see with the indoor artificial light," Muscatine said.

She added that her depth perception was hampered, causing her to be hesitant about going to the net. Muscatine said she eventually decided to go to the net anyway.

"She was playing way over her head," Muscatine said of her opponent. "I kept on beating her at net."

Rita Furnaro took a three set victory from Sandy McDougall, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3, in the fourth singles position.

Andy Okamura and Katherine Fulton rounded out the singles victories. Okamura, at number five, won her match, 6-0, 6-4, while Fulton, playing at number six, scored a 6-1, 6-1 victory.

In doubles, Muscatine and Thal lost the number one doubles match, 6-4, 6-2, Roberts and Furnaro took the number two doubles, 6-4, 6-4, and Okamura and Fulton took their doubles match, 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.

"I was real pleased," coach Corey Wynn said yesterday. "They played the best I've seen them play. It seems like they're getting better all the time," he added.

"Basically, it was the kind of match where we needed every point," Muscatine said yesterday. "We thought the match would be 5-4 either way," she added.