Sinologists See Peking Riots As Reaction to Anti-Chou Left

By Michael A. Calabrese

This week's riots in Peking appear to be a retaliation by China's moderate faction against desecration of a memorial to the late Premier Chou En-lai and against leftist moves to prevent Teng Hsiao-ping from succeeding Chou permanently, University Sinologists said yesterday.

Clear lines soon may be drawn in this latest episode of an ideological battle that has raged off and on the past 15 years, watchers agree.

Standing on one side of the controversy are the so-called "Reds," who espouse Chairman Mao Tse-tung's idea of continual revolution and selfless commitment to "serve the people," John K. Fairbank '29, Higginson Professor of History, said yesterday. Mao believes the revolution is betrayed by bureaucrats who obtain privileges and turn elitist, Fairbank added.

On the other side are the so-called "experts," including Chou and Teng. These more moderate leaders, many of whom were purged during the Cultural Revolution of the sixties, encourage programs that expand production and build the state, while Mao is concerned with self-sufficiency and participation of the masses.

Since Chou's death in early January the left has tried to assert its voice, especially in education, Benjamin I. Schwartz '38, Williams Professor of History and Political Science, said yesterday.

The leftist campaign against Teng succeeded yesterday as Mao named Hua Kuo-feng as premier and first vice chairman of the Communist Party, the positions Chou had held.

Mao's announcement, coming after days of massive demonstrations, may represent a compromise, Roy M. Hofheinz Jr., professor of Government, said yesterday. Hua, a leader from Mao's home province, is the chairman's personal choice but was appointed to his original position by Chou.

Since China's economy is booming and its society is stable, the current tensions will probably only affect the political leadership. They are, as Donald W. Klein, research associate at the East Asian Research Center, said yesterday, an example of Mao's dedication to his belief, "To rebel is good."