Musical Buildings

MOVING

By George K. Sweetnam

Earlier this month, Dean Fox came under heavy criticism because he did not offer students a chance to discuss his suggestion to limit full breakfasts to only four Houses before he decided the issue.

This week he was more cautious. Fox and two other administrators met with 40 South House residents Wednesday to discuss a proposal to move the General Education Office to a South House building.

The building at 103 Walker St. now houses eight seniors.

The Gen Ed Office is one of three offices of Divinity Avenue that have been looking for new homes since the Planning Office decided last fall to put the Biochemistry Department's planned $12 million lab where the Div Ave offices now stand.

The Morton Prince House, renovated last summer to accomodate the Gen Ed Office and the Linguistics Department office, will be demolished in February 1978 to make room for the Bio Labs.

Another frame house and the four-story red brick Coolidge lab also stand on the site designated for the new lab, and will come down. Those buildings together house the Program for Science and International Affairs, a think tank dealing with strategic arms limitations.

The new proposal for relocating the Gen Ed office is aimed at making the Quad more attractive to students by involving the Quad morehdirectly in the mainstrem of undergraduate life.

But the students Fox talked with were not very receptive. Many said they did not want to lose the house at 103 Walker St. as a residence because they believe the loss would reduce the attractiveness of South House as an alternative living arrangement.

And John H. Harvey, assistant to the director of General Education, says he thinks the Quad location would be extremely inconvenient.

The decision on the offices' fates should come by about April 4, Richard G. Leahy, assistant dean of the Faculty for planning and resources, said this week.