Batsmen Drown Big Green 19-1 After 3-0 Loss

Crimson Split Season-Ending Twinbill at Dartmouth

By Carl A. Esterhay and David A. Wilson

It was just a social afternoon for the Harvard baseball team yesterday. There was no tournament for the Crimson and reading period was dragging, so the team celebrated its season with a break up party in a doubleheader at Dartmouth.

Harvard teetotaled through the first game, losing 3-0, but left the Big Green to cry in its beer after a 19-1 victory bash in the nightcap.

In the first game, little was flowing for the Crimson as it only tapped Dartmouth hurler Dave DeMarco for six hits. DeMarco's assortment of fastballs, sliders and benders caused six timely strikeouts to stifle the screams of "Rally" abounding from the Harvard bench.

Dartmouth stung for a run in the home half of the first inning off loser Ron Stewart. Stewart retired the first hitter but three pitches later the Woodsmen had their margin of victory with a single, stolen base and another single.

Two

But the Hanover hosts' thirst for runs was not quenched and they returned for two more in the third inning. Stewart was victimized for the two scores after a couple of walks and a base hit. Steve Baloff relieved Stewart and surrendered a single but a Woodsman was chopped down at the plate to end the inning.

Harvard put two men on base in the second, fifth and sixth innings but poor baserunning and questionable calls by an out-of-focus umpire watered down the Crimson's attempts.

Harvard became a different team for the second game. Dave Singleton began the fireworks by lining the first pitch of the contest for a homerun.

A run-scoring double by Burke St. John later in the frame provided the Crimson with all it would need for the victory. But the visitors kept on chugging, backing up the seven-strikeout performance of winning pitcher Tim Clifford over the first six innings.

Charlie Santos-Buch provided all the offense in the third, chasing home two runs with a triple, then stealing home on the next pitch.

The onslaught of hits continued in the fourth as Harvard began the inning with five straight hits. This brought on the third Dartmouth pitcher, Steven Boulanger, who managed to hold on until Harvard's nine-run seventh.

Mike Stenhouse delivered the staggering belt with a three-run double. Stenhouse's RBI's gave him a season total of 40 by some estimates, believed to be a new Harvard record in that department.

Mark Bingham was another of the offensive stars for the Crimson, going four-for-five. St. John accounted for three more of the squad's 19 hits, as Bob Jenkins, Singleton and Stenhouse each chipped in with two. First Game  r  h  e HARVARD  102  000  0  0  6  1 Dartmouth  102  000  x  3  6  1 Pitchers: H-Stewart, Baloff (3) and Joyce D-DeMarco and Luppino Second Game HARVARD  303  400  9 Dartmouth  000  000  1 Pitchers: H-Clifford, Brown (7) and Joyce, Trembowicz (7). D-Blair, Corsones (3), Bouranger (4), Morris (6) and Fleury.