Gems for the Jaded

I've been a senior for less than a month but already I'm sick of it. The toga parties and all
By Gideon Gil

I've been a senior for less than a month but already I'm sick of it. The toga parties and all that are fine, but worrying about graduate schools and scholarships is no fun at all. The Rockefeller, for example, had potential. It offered $6 000 for a year of travel and living in a "culture not your own." Great, I thought. I can make six grand by spending a year in Tommy's Lunch.

But it turned out that the Rockefellers had something else in mind--Japan, for instance. This nation will be the topic of two lectures scheduled for tomorrow. At 12:45 p.m., Catherine Brown, a 1978 graduate of Harvard Law and currently a clerk to the U.S. Court of Appeals, will talk about "The Japanese Woman's Right to Equal Employment," in Pound 419.

"The U.S. and Japan in the United Nations: A Framework for Evaluation" is the title of a lecture to be delivered by Sadako Ogato, an envoy at the Japanese mission to the United Nations. The lecture is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. tomorrow, in room 2, 1737 Cambridge St. Joseph Berliner, a Brandeis professor, will give "A Sovietologist's View of China's Economy: Report of a Visit" at 1 p.m. in Room 3, 1737 Cambridge St.

Now shift your attention to the Northern hemisphere for a seminar on "East Germany, West Germany and Eurocommunism." But you will only have to walk next door, to Room 4, 1737 Cambridge St., to hear Peter Christian Ludz, a professor at Munich University, expound on this subject. The talk is scheduled for this afternoon at 4 p.m.

All the above lectures feature visiting speakers, but some superb home-grown talent will also be on display this coming week. James S. Ackerman, professor of Fine Arts, John K. Finley, Eliot Professor of Greek Literature, Emeritus, and Wallace T. MacCaffrey, professor of History, will participate in a panel discussion on "Lecturing in the Humanities," Monday at 4:15 p.m. in Science Center A.

Perhaps this weeks most worthwhile lecture will be a Wednesday talk on "Basic Investing" to be given by Thomas H. Greco, account executive with E.F. Hutton Co., at 11 a.m. in the basement of 17 Quincy St. My roommates--who lost the shirts off their backs last summer in the options market by following a can't lose tip--sure could benefit from this one. Campus,