Laxwomen End Season 6-5

Mleczko Tops Her Own Scoring Record

By Marc M. Sadowsky

The 1978 run of the Sarah Mleczko Show closed its season yesterday with the star flinging nine goals in the Northeastern net as the women's lacross team thrashed the Huskies, 15-3.

Mleczko's nine-goal performance--a school record--capped a 6-5 season for the laxwomen which saw the sophomore sensation scored five goals in four regular-season games. Until yesterday, though, five was her high during a game.

Harvard dominated the game from the beginning. Surprisingly, though, Mleczko did not score the first goal. Rather, it was Carrie Cunningham who started the parade one minute into the contest, converting a pass from--that's right--Mleczko.

Once You Get Started...

From then on it was Mleczko. She scored at two minutes, five minutes, eight minutes, 16 minutes, 20 minutes, and 23 minutes into the period. Wisty Oppenlander (one goal) and Carrie Cunningham (two goals) notched the other three goals in the period.

And while Mleczko led the first-half scoring barrage on Northeastern, the punchless Huskies could muster only one goal.

In the second half, Mleczko cooled off a little, opening the door for other attackers to make their marks on the tally sheet. Ellen Seidler, Stefi Baum, and Cunningham each picked up one goal in the closing act. Cunningham's goal was a beautiful, sneaky backhand shot 20 feet to the right of the Huskie netminder.

The rest of the offense was Mleczko. She added three goals to her six first-period goals and just missed a tenth late in the game when she was one-on-one with the goalie. Mleczko decided to take a high shot but her effort was countered by the goalie's stick, and the ball skidded to the left of the net.

The Harvard defense did not have too much work as the offense contained the play in their zone most of the game. But when Northeastern did penetrate the Crimson defense easily contained the threat, holding the Huskies to three goals all game.