Christian Crusade Trounces Crimson Varsity Hoopsters

By Mark H. Doctoroff

While the Crimson varsity hoopsters were wondering what had happened to Christian humility, the Campus Crusaders for Christ opened up a 48-22 halftime lead, and then hung on to post an 86-73 victory last night in exhibition basketball action at the IAB.

Crimson coach Frank McLaughlin said "the first half was something every coach fears," but added the Crimson fought back to outscore the CCC 51-38 in the second stanza.

As the halftime score indicates, the Crimson started out slow, shooting only 11 for 41 (27 per cent) from the floor in the first half.

Meanwhile, the Crusaders, led by former Williams College All-American Harry Sheehy's 17 points, showed no mercy, opening up leads of up to 32 points.

The CCC domination lasted until well into the second half, with the Harvard comeback first gaining momentum with about eight minutes left to play.

At the five-minute mark, two of Doug Coatsworth's free throws narrowed the margin to 20 points for the first time since the first ten minutes of the game.

Strong second--half performances by freshmen Lamar Flatt (nine points) and Calvin Dixon, both playing their first game for the Crimson, helped the hoopsters close the final gap to 13.

Bad Bongos

Harvard finished the game shooting 31 per cent, compared to 43 per cent for the CCC.

Dixon, a penetrating guard, had no trouble doing just that all game, as he shot 60 per cent (six for ten) from the floor for a team-high 12 points, and dished off a game-high four assists.

The Crimson seemed to be having some trouble adjusting to Dixon's quick play inside, as several potential baskets ended up as turnovers or went out-of-bounds.

Dixon said he, like the rest of the team, was a little nervous at first, but said he geared up to play his usual game in the second half. It showed.

Slick's Six

About the only first-half Harvard bright spot was Captain Bob "Slick" Allen, who scored six points and pulled down nine rebounds in the first half. He finished the game with 11 rebounds, leading all players in that department.

The Campus Crusaders are one of the strongest independent teams in North America. Last year they defeated the Soviet National Team and recently lost to the reigning World Champions, Yugoslavia, by only three points.

McLaughlin said he "looked at the game as a learning experience," adding "the game was worthwhile because we got to see guys under game conditions."