Elis Nip Cornell, Grab No. 700

Ivy Roundup

By Mark H. Doctoroff

A John Rogan scoring pass with 4/seconds left lifted Yale to a 23-20 victory over Cornell Saturday at Ithaca, solidifying the Yalies' hold on first place and making the Eli the first college team to win 700 games in its history.

A victory over either Princeton next week or the Crimson on the following Saturday will assure Yale of at least a share of the Ivy title.

Elsewhere in the Ivies, Princeton swamped Penn, 38-10, and Dartmouth whitewashed Columbia 17-0. Brown, with its 23-14 victory over Harvard, remains tied with Princeton, one game behind undefeated Yale.

The Yale-Cornell contest pitted the nation's top-ranked defensive team, Yale, against the Ivy League's best offensive eleven. Through three and one-half quarters, it seemed like offensive power would prevail, as the Big Red, after trailing 17-6 at the half, stormed back to lead 20-17 with six minutes to play.

But Yale retaliated. Facing a bleak fourth and ten from their own 35, Yale's Kenny Hill grabbed a deflected Rogan toss and ran all the way to the Cornell 36 before being brought down.

Six plays later it was all over, as Rogan's 12-yd. spiral hit Bob Rostomoly with the winning TD.

At Columbia, two Dartmouth players followed in Dad's footsteps, and led the Big Green to a decisive victory over Columbia.

Too Close For Comfort

Jeff Kemp and Dave Shula, sons of former pro quarterback Jack Kemp and Miami Dolphin coach Don Shula, teamed up to form a Q.B.-wide receiver connection good for five receptions, including one touchdown pass.

Everyone has been beating Penn this season, and Princeton was no exception, as the Tigers came up with a convincing 38-10 win in Philadelphia.

Princeton fullback Larry Van Pelt played a big part in the win, rushing for 119 yards and two touchdowns, and also scored on a 44-yd. pass from quarterback Bob Holly.