Non-Transferable

DINING HALLS

By Esme C. Murphy

Winthrop House residents united in protest this week when University Food Services decided to transfer Robert B. Davis, supervisor of the Winthrop House dining hall, out of the House.

R.J. Monteville, manager of the College dining halls, last week informed Davis that he would be reassigned from his post as supervisor of the Winthrop hall to the position of substitute supervisor for all halls effective January 1.

"I would like to work in Winthrop for another five years--until I have to retire," Davis said Thursday.

Students and tutors in the House, along with its co-masters, this week collected signatures to protest Davis's transfer. Some students said they will organize a boycott of Winthrop dining hall if Davis is transferred out, and ask students to eat at whichever House Davis is assigned to.

The petitions say Davis, who has worked at Winthrop for 12 years, is responsible for the dining hall's "friendly atmosphere."

"We do not expect to change the decision. Transfers are a way of life," Frank J. Weissbecker, director of Food Services, said after the petitions were received yesterday.

"Winthrop is uniformly against the decision," James A. Davis, co-master of Winthrop House, said Wednesday.