Yale Stops Racquetwomen In Key Ivy League Battle

By Laurence S. Grafstein

Crimson red was not the color of success at Hemenway Gym yesterday, even though it was Valentine's Day, as the Harvard women's squash team fell to Yale, 5-2.

The racquetwomen dropped their second straight match of the week (they lost to Princeton Sunday) and failed to gain revenge for the loss they absorbed at the hands of Yale in A division Howe Cup competition two weekends ago.

None of the Crimson's top five players managed to win a match. Sophomore Eleanor Cunningham and captain Jenny Stone registcred the only victories for the racqueteers.

Bow Wow Ow

"It was a disappointing loss. The Yale team performed very well," coach Paul Moses said following the match.

Cunningham playing in the seventh position, continued to play solid squash, disposing of her opponent 15-10, 12-15, 15-10, 15-11. "We were so psyched up for Princeton that we couldn't play with the same intensity against Yale," she said yesterday.

Sixth-slotted Stone, as usual, did not mess around with her adversary. She permitted only seven points in the first two games en route to a devastating 3-0 triumph.

Top-ranked Becky Tung, still hampered by strained ligaments and tendonitis, fell in three consecutive games. Freshman Cynthia Stanton, in the second spot, also succumbed without winning a single game.

"I had trouble with her short shots,' Stanton said after the struggle.

Number four Courtney Stimpson dropped a heartbreaker that could have gone either way, losing 18-15 and 18-17 in two excruciatingly close contests. Stimpson came up on the short end of a 3-1 score, while Wendy Sonnabend was shut out, 3-0, in the number-five battle.

A Stitch In Time

Nell Foreman played with five stitches above her left eye, a reminder of the injury she sustained against Penn Saturday. Foreman also failed to post a win and fell in three straight.

The win was a big one for the Bulldogs, virtually assuring them of the second spot in this year's national team rankings, behind powerful Princeton.

The match was the Crimson racquet-women's Hemenway finale for the season, but they still have two head-to-head contests as well as the NCAA tourney remaining.