Talented Racquetmen Aim High

TENNIS

By Nell Scovell

Although poets say a man's thoughts turn to love in springtime, the Harvard tennis team is focusing more on courts than on courting at the moment.

With one win already tucked away, the Crimson racquetmen will travel out West over spring break to face Notre Dame and six Southern California colleges before returning home to take on the Ivy League.

Five of the six top players from last year's 11-2 squad have returned to lend both experience and depth to the team.

In addition, seniors fill five of the top eight notches and "provide excellent team leadership," freshman John Bridgeland said.

A Turning Point

The combination of talent, experience and a positive attitude should make this year a turning point for the Harvard tennis program as coach Dave Fish hopes to build a nationally ranked power.

"In the past we've only thought about the Ivies and peaking for Yale and Princeton," Bob Horne, number three man said. "Now we're building towards a national caliber team."

In addition to a change in goals, the tennis team has begun a new training policy.

Fish held organized practices four times a week throughout the winter, with an emphasis on conditioning and drills. "Grand Prix" matches allowed people lower on the ladder to develop their skills by competing with the top players.

"The players have improved much more than in recent years," Fish said, crediting captain Kevin Shaw, who "really got those guys to work."

The effectiveness of the winter workouts, however, will soon be heavily tested as the Crimson faces the University of California-Irvine and the UCal-Pepperdine, ranked fourth and tenth, respectively, in the nation, during the Spring trip.

Primed to Go

"In the past we've gone on Spring trips without any match experience, but this year we're ready," senior Scott Walker said.

Two weeks ago, Harvard snatched victory from the University of Virginia in a 5-4 cliffhanger decided by Jim Curley's 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5-4 in the tiebreaker) win in the number five spot.

Curley got some help from teammate Don Pompan, who proved he would have no problem filling in the vacancy left open by the graduation of last year's captain Todd Lundy.

While the Encino, Calif., native says "the key to college matches is to be mentally ready for the big 3-3 shot," (games go to the first player to get four points) Pompan's slashing attack and hard forehand will also open some doors.

While Pompan has secured the number one spot, there should be considerable mobility among the next nine positions.

"I don't consider myself any better than the number ten player," Walker, who plays second, said.

A Little Tenderness

The condition of veteran Andy Chaikovsky's shoulder will effect the line-up, since last year's co-MVP (along with Pompan) had to sit out spring challenge matches because of the injury.

"Chai's a big factor on this team, and we'll be hurt if he doesn't play," Walker said.

Walker's concern stems partially from his desire to repeat freshman year heroics when Harvard defeated Princeton to capture the Ivy title.

The Tigers, however, "are in a class by themselves, this year," Fish said, adding, "they are recruiting more heavily than ever."

Walker will team up with Shaw at first doubles for the third straight year, while Shaw will solo at number four.

Bob Horne, who did not lose a match last year in the sixth position, has moved up three spots on the ladder; and fellow sophomore Curley already has taken over the number five position in his first year of college tennis.

"Curley is an amazing athlete," Fish said. "Walker used to be the fastest guy on the team, but Curley leaves them all with their mouths hanging-open."

Senior Dick Arnos rounds out the field of singles player. Arnos is a member of the "Ohio Connection," which includes Shaw and newcomer Bridgeland, who has settled into the ladder right behind Arnos and right above Alec Seaver and Greg Kirsch.

In-Depth Research

Overall, the team's greatest strength is its depth. "None of the guys are over-powering but they are all real fighters who make the other players work for his points," Fish said.

"The win over Virginia was a great way to start the season," Curley said, adding, "We also learned there's a great deal we need to work on--like how to celebrate after the match.