Tung, Stone Shine at Nationals

SQUASH ROUNDUP

By Laurence S. Grafstein

Becky Tung reached the quarterfinals of the main draw and captain Jenny Stone won the consolation event in the women's national squash championships held this weekend in Middletown, Conn.

Tung, the racquetwomen's top-ranked player, played tremendous squash before dropping a close 3-1 decision to Princeton's Chris Kinney. In defeating Brown's Adrienne Morphy in the third round, Tung exacted a measure of revenge for a loss earlier this season.

Tung appeared to have the match wrapped up in the third game, but a controversial let call by Morphy gave the Brown star a chance to extend the match to five games until Tung finally prevailed.

Stone, who succumbed in a preliminary round, defeated Minnie Coolidge of Smith to take the consolation final and a pewter trophy.

Nell Foreman lost her feed-in match but later was found to have been suffering from mononucleosis at the time of the match.

Wendy Sonnabend played solid squash, falling in the third round of the main draw to Dartmouth's number two, Muffy Rogers. She then went on to drop a 3-2 cliffhanger to Princeton's Susan Rogers in the feed-in consolation.