Booters to Face MIT in Home Opener

By Mark H. Doctoroff

Massachusetts Institute of Technology soccer coach Walter Alessi was speaking about his team's chances for the 1980 season. "I think that we're going to be better than last year," he said with the stress on the word "think," "but I can't be sure."

With that kind of attitude from the MIT coach, the Crimson men's soccer squad shouldn't have much trouble notching a victory in the regular season opener today at the Business School field.

The Crimson booters come into the contest fresh from a win over Haverford in last week's 75th anniversary of the first intercollegiate soccer match. They hope to tune up today for a crucial match with Ivy power Columbia University on Saturday.

The Crimson offense, which hammered 16 shots at the goal against Haverford, should be paced by Mauro Keller-Sarmiento and sophomore Lance Ayrault. Ayrault surprised a few people with a two goal performance in the commemorative game.

Benny Erulkar and Pete Walsh will anchor the traditionally strong Crimson defense in the nets, and will be supported by a cast almost identical to the one that held opponents to slightly over one goal per game last year. Veteran sweeper Peter Sergienko will lead the backfield, with captain Michael Smith, John Duggan, and Andy Kronfeld patrolling the midfield.

The MIT squad is by no means a formidable opponent, but could give the Crimson some trouble all the same. Five starters will return from last year's dismal 2-10-1 squad, which can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. Calling his squad "mediocre in most areas, an average team," Alessi described his outlook as "guardedly optimistic."

Usually, the Engineers play their best against Harvard. In 1978, with the Crimson up 1-0 and 15 minutes left on the clock, MIT scored three times to register a 3-1 upset win. But it shouldn't happen today.