Women Hoopsters' Season Begins Tonight in IAB

By Andy Doctoroff

Hypothesis number one: basketball is supposed to be a game for tall people.

Hypothesis number two generally, if a hoop squad doesn't have any height, its chances of winning a lot of games are not that great.

Coach Carole Kleinfelder and the rest of the womens' basketball team have a goal for the season--to prove the above statements incorrect.

Many spectators believe that this objective is unrealistic considering that not one woman on the varsity squad is taller than 5'10". Throughout the Ivy League and other non-conference schools, most rosters contain at least two players over six feet tall.

Top Heavy

For the past three seasons the Crimson has built its offense around 6'1" center Elaine Holpuch--the holder of the single season scoring record--but Holpuch opted to take the year off before completing her Harvard career. Coupled with the absence of junior Nancy Boutilier, who also took a leave of absence this year, Holpuch's decision detracts considerably from the five's offensive attack.

Kleinfelder says she has doubts about her team's ability to shoot from the inside--a problem which is bound to be magnified when opponents tower over a 5' 4" point guard.

Despite these uninspiring realities, Kleinfelder contends--as do several members of the squad--that the team has the potential to chalk up a number of victories this winter and improve on last year's fifth place Ivy League finish.

Harvard has the chance to prove themselves this evening in the season opener as they take on a highly regarded--and tall--Fairfield. Unlike schools who compete in the Ivy League, Fairfield relies heavily on the scholarships to lure talented hoopsters to its basketball court.

Realizing that the lack of a domineering center will make it difficult to maneuver the ball inside the key, Kleinfelder has been stressing the necessity of speed and the fast break to score baskets.

Although no starting lineup has been determined, forwards Pat Horne and Frenesa Hall are expected to provide a great deal of the Crimson attack.

"Pat is our most consistent player game after game. Although she's not seen as much of an offensive threat, her defense is excellent. She always plays well," says Kleinfelder.

Kleinfelder plans to play Hall as a power forward and expects her to produce a constant flow of two-pointers, saying, "We should be generating offense off of Frenesa. We should try and get the ball to her."

Besides Horne and Hall, look for centers Rose Guarino and Janet Judge to see a lot of playing time, and expect different combinations of Ann Scannell, Kate Martin and Andrea Mainelli to compose the back court in tonight's game.

One factor in the squad's favor is the fact that it is composed of experienced hoopsters. Although there is only one senior--Denise Williamson--seven players are returning as juniors. "We've been playing together for three years," says co-captain Horne.

The hoopsters recognize the importance of playing as a team. "We're really team oriented. That's the way our team is for the first time in a long time," said Martin.

There are four freshmen on the varsity squad, and Lisa Leithauser is a prospect who is expected to stabilize the offense. Kleinfelder describes her as "poised" and points out that offensively, she is already "a college player." Kleinfelder also notes that when Leithauser improves her defensive skills, she will be a bona fide threat on the court.

"I like the personality of this team. It seems to have a fighting attitude, a certain resilience and confidence," says Kleinfelder. "If we play the best basketball we can. We're going to surprise a lot of teams."