Tracksters Will Start Season Today

Women's Squad Boasts New Depth

By Caroline R. Adams

Even if the Equal Rights Amendment fails to win ratification, should sports at Harvard continue to progress the way they have so far this fall, the 1981-82 season could well become "The Year of the Woman."

Already the Harvard women's soccer, cross-country and sailing teams have completed extremely successful fall campaigns, while a clutch of winter squads, with the potential to be equally successful, have embarked upon their dual meet seasons with promising results.

Today the women tracksters could join these outstanding teams when they host the University of New Hampshire at 1 p.m. in their 1981 opener for, if they perform as well in action as they do on paper, the complexion of New England and Ivy League track competition could change dramatically.

In contrast to previous years, the track squad this season has depth in a number of events--the shotput, the mile, and the two mile. And, as is usually the case, the key to the team's success is going to be the return of a number of standout up perclassmen, as well as the infusion of a wealth of freshman talent.

Junior whiz kid Darlene Beckford, who has never lost an individual race on Harvard's indoor track and who holds Harvard's record in the mile, two mile, 440 and 880--will be back to work her old magic. For the first time in two years, Beckford is going into the track season uninjured and healthy, and judging from her stellar 18th place finish in last month's cross-country Nationals, she could be better than ever this year.

In addition, the Crimson has the potential to sweep the shotput in every meet. Senior co-captain Kim Johnson will be joined this year by two outstanding freshmen--Marie Acacia and Kathy Durante--and the trio could well outclass all of its competition. Acacia is the New York State indoor shotput champion, and Durante is an accomplished discus and shotput thrower in her own right.

Marjorie Scharoun and Mariquita "Skeets" Patterson, both freshmen, should turn heads this year. Coach Pappy Hunt feels that Scharoun has the potential to be as good as Kathy Rice--who holds Harvard's dash record--and that Patterson's contributions to the hurdles, long jump, and dash will be invaluable.

Bringing their cross-country skills to the longer track events will be senior Kristin Linsley and Yardlings Jenny Stricker, Kate Wiley, Mary-Jeanne Barrett and Amy Simon, among others. Wiley and Stricker will be well worth watching--during the fall season Wiley took the Easterns crown and earned a spot on the All-American Division I cross country team, and Stricker took the Ivy League laurels at Franklin Park with an outstanding performance.

Sophomore Kathy Busby could also grab a few headlines this winter. Cut from the lacrosse team last year, Busby came out for the track squad with no previous training and by the end of the season had taken the school's 100-meter dash record.

The question Marks on the roster will be senior Paula Newnham, freshman Kathy Goode, and sophomores Liane Rozzell and Linda Yeager, Goode is training tentatively on a stress fracture, and Rozzell and Yeager are taking a break from competition. Newnham--who ran on the British National team but who has had numerous difficulties with her feet--is working herself back into shape after a series of operations on her ankle.