HSA to Commemorate 25th Year

Plans Party at Hvatt

By Jean E. Engelmayer

Harvard Student Agencies (HSA) turns 25 today, and the nation's most-lucrative undergraduate employment service will celebrate the event in style.

More than 100 current and past HSA executives from as far away as New Mexico and France are expected for a series of symposia and receptions honoring the wholly independent corporation, which employs about 1400 students annually.

Explaining the special attraction of undergraduate capitalism. HSA President Michael J. O'Brien '83 said yesterday. "There are not too many places where a 20-year-old can just walk in and soon be in charge of a $600,000 budget and a large staff."

'Genteel Service'

O'Brien and other HSA officials pointed out that in addition to providing students with business administration experience, the agency offers valuable services to customers beyond Harvard's gates.

"Genteel Cantabrigians relish the opportunity to have their parties catered and bartended by erudite Harvard men and women," according to a specially prepared pamphlet on HSA's history.

Other services offered by HSA include term paper typing, shirt laundering, and newspaper delivering.

"HSA gave me an introduction to business while I was still in college," said Max Kiehne '68, who started out selling firewood in Kirkland House and now manages agricultural real estate in New Mexico.

Formed in 1957 as a source of employment for poor students and an economical on-campus service center. HSA has been imitated by many other college organizations, O'Brien said.

Today, proud alumni will join current undergraduates for a panel discussion on "The Value of HSA," as well as a tailgate party before the Harvard-Brown football game.

Andrew Tobias '68, a former HSA president and the author of the agency's famous "Let's Go" travel guide series, will speak at an evening banquet at the Hyatt Regency hotel.