Harvard Officials to Aid Dukakis

By Jacob M. Schlesinger

Two Harvard officials were among the 26 advisors whom Gov. elect Michael S. Dukakis named yesterday to direct his administration's transition to the State House.

Dukakis, who taught from 1979 to 1981 at the Kennedy School of Government before launching his gubernatorial campaign, will also receive informal counseling over the next two months from at least one K. School administrator, the official said yesterday.

A Dukakis side said last week that at least six University affiliates including yesterday's appointees are also being considered for posts in the Administration.

Kireker and Lashman

Charles F. Kireker, who worked closely with Dukakis on the K. School's State and Local Executive Program and who resigned from his Harvard post two weeks ago, yesterday became the co-ordinator of the transition advisory committee. As the main full-time staff member for the project, Kireker will provide "a liaison between Michael and the committee," a Dukakis spokesman said.

Edward freshman, Harvard's director of external projects, was selected as one of the 23 part-time advisors who will convene on a roughly weekly basis. According to a press statement, the advisors will "serve as a sounding board for determining priorities and maintain bridges of communication" to contacts built during the campaign. The group will also provide and consider candidates for cabinet and senior advisory posts.

Lashman served as head of the Massachusetts Housing and Finance Agency in Dukakis's first term as governor four years ago. A key side in this year's Dukakis campaign, he helped attract crucial support from labor and teacher groups.

K-School Associate Dean Ira A. Jackson '70 said yesterday he will provide general advice to the governor-elect in an unofficial capacity. Jackson was one of Dukakis's chief advisors during the campaign, drafting several speeches and policy statements.

Dukakis said at a Boston press conference yesterday that he hopes to announce his top cabinet appointments by Thanksgiving and fill the rest of the cabinet and senior advisory posts by the end of the year.

However, intense conjecture has already begun over who will hold these jobs.

Leading contenders at Harvard are Kireker, who has repeatedly refused comment, and Jackson, who also has refused to discuss the matter, calling it "pure speculation."

Lashman has stated he will not consider any full-time position in the administration.

Henry Lee head of the K-School's Energy and Environmental Policy Center, served as Dukakis's energy advisor in the previous administration and has been mentioned as a candidate to return to the job Lee said this week that he had not been approached but would consider accepting such an offer.

Asked if he would favor candidates from Harvard because he spent time at the University. Dukakis conceded "somewhat," but stressed that he would build a set of advisors form "the broad coalition we built in the campaign.