News

Harvard Law School Makes Online Zero-L Course Free for All U.S. Law Schools Due to Coronavirus

News

For Kennedy School Fellows, Epstein-Linked Donors Present a Moral Dilemma

News

Tenants Grapple with High Rents and Local Turnover at Asana-Owned Properties

News

In April, Theft Surged as Cambridge Residents Stayed at Home

News

The History of Harvard's Commencement, Explained

Final Vote Tallies Confirm Landslides In Local Contests

By Jacob M. Schlesinger

The Democratic Party's dominance in Cambridge area elections was officially confirmed with the release of final election tallies yesterday.

Figures collected by the Secretary of State's election division showed that insurance agent Peter Vellucci won the 29th Middlesex State Representative seat with 7921 votes, or 83 percent. His opponent, Independent Larry Beeferman received 1687 votes, or 17 percent.

State Senator Michael J. LoPresti Jr '70 won re-election in his Suffolk and Middlesex district--which includes eastern Cambridge. East Boston, and Winthrop--with 31,740 votes, or 88 percent Socialist Party Candidate William Shakalis got the remaining 4413 votes--12 percent of the total.

State Senator George Bachrach won a second term in the Middlesex and Suffolk district--which includes western Cambridge, Watertown. Brighton and Belmont--pulling 34,279 votes, or 70 percent. Republican Marta Batmasian got 11.045, or 22 percent.

The Middlesex County District Attorney's Office--the largest in the state--will in the next four year be in the hands of 1. Scott Harshbarger 64. Almost 65 percent of the voters--357.261 of the total gave Harshbarger the job Runner up Republican Guy Carbone garnered 125,367 votes. The county includes Cambridge as well as 53 other cities and towns.

Democrats made modest gains in legislative races statewide. Their party will control the House, 131 to 29, and the Senate, 33 to 7.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.

Tags