Epps 'Not Optimistic' About Campus Concert With The Greatful Dead

By Mary Humes

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III will give his decision Wednesday on whether the rock band The Grateful Dead will be allowed to give a concert at Harvard.

In a meeting yesterday with student organizers of the project, sponsored by the Undergraduate Council, Epps notified students of the postponement of his decision--scheduled for today--and added that he was "not very optimistic" about the project receiving approval.

Epps said he put off the decision until the completion of voting on a student referendum on whether the Dead should play, conducted by the council in dining halls through tomorrow.

The council had previously decided that if Epps did not approve the idea, voting would cease on the non-binding referendum.

"It would be impolite and inappropriate [to interrupt the referendum]--as if we're not considering what the students are saying," Epps said.

He added that he needed more time to consider logistical matters. Those include security and facilities use, and financial arrangements. For instance, Epps called the financial proposal of the concert's backer, businessman James Adler, "quite imprecise."

Voting on the referendum began yesterday in the Houses with moderate turnout, according to Council officers. The Council expects a 30 percent turnout over the three-day period, said Vice-Chairman Brian R. Melendez '86.

Melendez added that he is disappointed with the postponement of the decision. He explained that the council will have to proceed with the entire referendum, although the question may prove moot if permission is denied.

"It's very inconvenient," Melendez said.