The Biggest Show in Town

NCAA Hockey Championships All Roads Lead to Grand Forks

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

"Many people shudder when they come into town," explains Grand Forks. N.D. Mayor Bud Wessman, "because they think they've come to the end of the world."

Although the end probably wouldn't be too hard to find from there, (the woman in the Chamber of Commerce jokes that you just have to jump on Route 81 and head south for a few minutes). Wessman and his loyal contingent argue that Grand Forks is not worse than any other part of the region.

"It's is not too much different from any other city its size," says Jack Haggerty, editor of the Grand Forks only daily newspaper The Herald "We're just your average mid-America country folk. "But for once. Haggerty adds, these mid-American country folk are the envy of the rest of the Mid west--for this weekend at least. They've got the biggest show in town the NCAA hockey championship has raised its tent.

"people are very excited." Haggerty says proudly And as Mayor "Bud" claims, "Hockey's the number one sport out here in fact it's the only sport and we take it very seriously." In fact says Wessman it "is the biggest thing that's happened to Grand Forks in many years."

The eastern-most city in North Dakota Grand Forks (see map) lies on the banks of the Red River of the North. "That's the Red River of the North so as to differentiate from the Red River of Texas." Haggerty jokes.

Dubbed Sunflake City with its part-sun and part-snowflake emblem. Grand forks lays claim to some of the richest agricultural soil in the world. The terrain's predominantly agricultural setting is responsible for the city's relatively miniscule 5.8 percent unemployment rate. "We really have no major industries aside from agriculture," Haggerty says.

"Of course there's the big french fry factory in town" he adds "And Pillsbury makes all of its potato flakes here."

But not even the rolling flatlands and the sprawling heartlands can hide the fact that Grand Forks is a die-hard university town. The University of North Dakota sits just west of downtown increasing the city's year-round population of 44,000 to 55,000.

"We have a strong agriculture base." Wessman says, but he quickly adds. "We've also got the University. And we're very proud of UND: they've provided a lot for us."

But yes even Grand Forks has its problems. "We've pretty much got the same problems the rest of the country has." Western says. He adds. "We're just as concerned about the economy and high interest rates." The difference is high interest rates." The difference is "that people have a tendency to be pretty laid back out here. They don't like to get terribly excited: they just like to work darn hard."

And recently even the nuclear freeze movement has made its way into town.

With the establishment of the Grand Forks Air Force Base a few years back, the size of the city grew tremendously. So did the number of nuclear missiles that now act as neighbors to this quiet little Northern plains town.

"We've got about 150 Minuteman missiles and quite a few B-52's sitting out there." Haggerty says, "Basically, there's a lot of nuclear power out there." he adds laughing.

And Wessman tells the local story about how if the state seceded from the Union. North Dakota would become the third major nuclear power in the world.

"There's been no demands by people to do anything." he adds. "There was just a little silent demonstration a few weeks back when some new cruise missiles rolled in." That silent demonstration was the year's biggest story.

The other major event affecting not only Grand Forks but also the whole-state has been the recent legalization of blackjack. But the gambling in this frigid state is somewhat different from that of Las Vegas or Atlantic City. The maximum bet in North Dakota is $2 and all the profits go to charity.

"Last year some 25 or 30 charities made about 14 or 15 million dollars." explains Don Quandt of the Grand Forks Chamber of Commerce. "It's a pretty unique set-up."

And when visitors to this typical North Dakota town, which lies just on the border of Minnesota, venture through, the top attractions tend to be the city's three major shopping centers or the university's Grand Forks, explains the mayor, usually attracts many Canadian visitors, as well. "With our location to Winnipeg (1.50 miles directly south), we have some very close Canadian ties. Hessman says.

In fact, those Canadian ties date back to the city's founding, which was aided by the then Canadian-based, fur-trading Hudson Bay Company. Seeking a midway point on the Red River between St. Paul. Minn., and Winnipeg, the company settled on Grand Forks. The fork in the river at that point was used as the city's name when it was incorporated in 1881.

Two years later, the University of North Dakota was founded, and since then the university has provided many cultural, special and athletic events for the city. It is as Wessman says, the city's pride and joy."

Nowhere is the city's love affair with the University more apparent than with hockey UND's Fighting Sioux hockey squad has reached national prominence the last few years and is the town's top drawing card. The team won the NCAA championship last year but fell short this season.

The NCAA hockey tournament "is the biggest think that's happened to Grand Forks in many years.

"It's not uncommon for us to sell out the rink. Wessman says, referring to the 6000 seat Winter Sports, Complex, where this weekend's tourney is being held. And UND Assistant Hockey Coach John Marks says. "The state of North Dakota takes a lot of pride in the hockey we play. All out games are televised throughout the state."

As for hockey tickets, UNI) has sold all its season tickets for the next five years. After that there's a waiting list with several hundred names "About the only way to get tickets." Marks says is to have them willed to you."

And while there's virtually little chance of getting tickets for this weekend's tourney (it's been sold out for months). Wessman says everyone in town will have something to say about it.

"After all, this is Grand Forks and this is hockey," he says. "Hardly anything else is important."

At least this weekend, anyway.