The Tradition Continues

All That JAZ

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

NEW YORK U. (52)--Lester Pierre 1-2-4; Greg Gonzalez 6-2-14; Henry Russo 2-0-4; Kerry Noonan 2-0-4; Terry Tarpey 7-1-15; Michael McMillan 0-0-0; David Brooks 0-1-1; John Moran 1-0-2; Robert Novak 0-0-0, Greg Worf 1-0-2; Tom Lapidus 0-2-2; Joe Kempton 2-0-4; Drew Midwinter 0-0-0; Totals 22-0-52.

HARVARD (79)--Joe Carrabino 4-8-10; Ame Duncan 3-6-10; Bob Ferry 5-4-14; Pat Smith 1-1-3; Keith Webster 2-0-4; Ken Plutnicki 1-6-6; Greg Wides 2-2-6; Kyle Standley 0-0-0; Monroe Trout 4-2-10; Bob Daugherty 0-0-0; Kevin Boyle 0-0-0; Fellpe Farley 1-0-2; Ben Danielson 0-0-0; Join Simbeck 0-0-0; Bill Parkerson 0-0-0; Totals 23-33-79

When they hired Mike Muzio to coach the New York University basketball team in March of 1971, the Violets were in full bloom

They died two weeks later.

Muzio almost did, too.

For in April of that year, NYU canned one of the nation's most venerated basketball programs, and in the process forgot to tell their newly hired coach about it.

"I was driving on the Grand Central Park-way in New York City with a recruit," Muzio recalls with a big grin, retelling his favorite story yet another time. "We turned on the radio and Howard Cosell announced NYU was dropping basketball.

"I almost drove off the road."

But 12 years later, the gardens in Green-wich Village are in bloom again--NYU hoop is back. Monday night at Briggs Cage, the Violets came back to Harvard for the first time in more than 40 years, with--drum roll, please--one Mike Muzio driving the car.

Having waited 12 long years to coach his first collegiate basketball game. Muzio brought to town a team light years away from the one he was supposed to lead in 12 years ago. Things have changed a lot since that hey-day of NYU hoop. The Violets no longer have a top-notch, Division I. nationally ranked club. And they certainly no longer have a club that can compete with Harvard

The Division 1 Crimson walked all over its Division 3 visitors, 79-52, in a game that meant much more than divisions and scores and wins and losses. The game was a reunion of sorts, one that brought together two schools playing basketball for the same reason--for fun.

It also brought out all of NYU's finest--from their most honored former basketball stars to their most honored current administrators. NYU President John Brademas, the man most responsible for the return of basketball to the academically oriented school, drew more attention than an out-of-season Violet.

It was a homecoming of sorts for the former 11-term U.S. representative from Indiana and former Democratic majority whip. If his current attention lies with NYU, his heart will always lie with Harvard. And Harvard basketball.

The 1949 Harvard graduate spent three years on the Crimson basketball squad, playing some "pretty mediocre j.v. ball." But for the former South Bend, lad, native and Adams House resident, the opportunity to see some pretty good ball Monday night was a dream come true.

"To be able to come back as president of New York University when it's playing basketball for the first time in 12 years and see it play against my alma mater," Brademas said between shouts of support for his current employer, "was something I didn't want to miss."

Crimson Coach Frank McLaughlin also got a chance to do some reminiscing. As a Congressman from South Bend, Brademas represented McLaughlin when the coach was sharpening his coaching skills at Notre Dame. And Muzio recruited McLaughlin when the coach--a Fordham University grad--was sharpening his playing skills at Fordham Prep in the Bronx.

"I'm just happy we got to help them out in some way," McLaughlin said afterwards. "It's great to have NYU back in college basketball, playing the same type of game we are, a game where academics comes first."

As for the Violets (now 12-6), share are no plans to upgrade the program from Division 3 status anytime soon. "We're playing the right type of basketball for NYU right now," Brademas remarked.

"And as long as we're playing we're happy," Muzio said.

As they say in New York. The Tradition Continues...