The Legacy of Malcolm X

BLACK HISTORY

By Carla D. Williams

FEBRUARY 21, 1965--a barrage of assasin's bullets bombarded the speaking podium at the Audobon Ballroom in Harlem and landed in the chest and body of Malcolm X. With his death came loss, mourning and a suffering that continues still.

Although nearly 20 years have passed since the violence and revolution of the 1960s engulfed one of the most dynamic leaders of Black consciousness, change has been slow to come in America. Racism persists and even after the civil rights legislation of the '60s, Blacks could be said to live in another world which just happened to be placed on the same continent as the United States. In a country which is suppsedly one of the richest in the world. Black children die at a rate more characteristic of underdeveloped nations. Unemployment rates for Blacks have been increasng while the nation's average is down.

The anniversary of Malcolm X's death is a reminder that much remains undone by Blacks in this country. Not for Blacks, but by Blacks. This is one of many clear distinctions Malcolm X made in his speeches--that the Black man must stand up for himself--but he died attempting to demonstrate his own philosophy. And with his death, many of his ideals also perished.

Malcolm X trumpeted the need for radical change and a reexamination of a system which distributes a poorer way of life to one segment of the population while another lives in relative comfort. At the same time he managed to convey a new sense of worth to Afro-Americans and a sense of worth of unity for all people of color.

Considered a radical by many whites and Blacks. Malcolm X as a Black Muslim believed that "the white man is the devil" and that whites as a whole are inherently evil, while Blacks are a supreme race. Those who converted to the Muslim religion began following a strict decadence-free regimen, including abstinence from smoking, drinking, dancing, and dating. As a Muslim minister, it was Malcolm's job to explain the teachings of Allah and The Honorable Elijah Muhammed.

"My black brothers and sisters--of all religious beliefs, or of no religious beliefs--we all have in common the greatest binding tie we could have. We are all Black people!

"I'm not going to take all day telling you of the greatness of The Honorable Elijah Muhammed. I'm just going to tell you now his greatest greatness. He is the first, the only Black leader to identify, to you and me who is our enemy!

"Our enemy is the white man."

The significance of Malcolm X's life was his diagnosis of the plight of the Black man in this country. He spoke a truth that many did not wish to hear, and ignited an anger that became hard to contain during violent times of change.

But later, after a pilgrimage to Africa and Mecca, Malcolm's perceptions changed slightly, and he tried to join the efforts of other civil rights leaders. In his autobiography, written with Alex Haley, Malcolm X wrote:

"The true Islam has shown me that a blanker indictment of all white people is as wrong as when whites make blanket indictments against Blacks. Yes, I have been convinced that some American whites do want to help cure the rampant racism which is on the path to destroying this country."

Malcolm X evolved from wanting very little to do with white people to believing that some whites could help in the process of change. This parallels the change in Blacks' struggle for human and civil rights in this country, shown most noticeably in the Rainbow coalition theme of the Rev. Jesse L. Jackson's and Mel King's campaigns. Blacks have moved from a protest-oriented mode to action through the judicial and political systems. But inequalities persist and the call for unification Malcolm X began seems to fall on deaf ears.

STILL the call for leadership remains unfulfilled. The teachings of Malcolm X, and others like him who helped bring light to the truth of the Black man's life in this country, still apply today. But the loss of this leadership has left Blacks forever searching for replacements. Who could take the place of a Malcolm X, or a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.? Why even ask such a question?

It is a refreshing change, then, to see the trend of the Black Students Association towards a new philosophy of change. This year's Malcolm X weekend, Feb. 18-20--in contrast to the parties that marked previous anniversaries--focused on themes of unity within the Black community. A series of seminars tried to reinforce this sense of solidarity. A free film, which documented Malcolm X's contributions to the Civil Rights Movement, was attended by a diverse group, many of whom were unfamiliar with his life.

The anniversary of Malcolm X's death presents a chance to return to his speeches and ideas. The challenge Malcolm X offered was one of involvement in the struggle for change on a continuous basis. Rather than mourn his loss. Blacks must learn from his teachings and move onward. That would be the greatest form of remembrance.