Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

The First-Round Final

The Cardiac Kids Take on the Terriers

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

There's one good reason why the 1984 Beanpot showdown between Boston College and Boston University won't determine the tourney title.

It's in the opening round

Other than that this prime-time shootout in hockey heaven's got all the makings of a barnburner a promoter's dream showdown and a great title game all rolled into one.

You might get a mild argument from the other guys in the four-ring circus that is the Beanpot but--sorry. Charlie this year's feature attraction comes in Week One While Harvard and Northeastern hover around mediocrity B.U. and B.C.--the last two Pot champs enter the Causeway St. shootout as the class of the East.

"If I were a betting man I'd feel pretty safe saving the winner of our game will go on to win the whole thing," says B.U.'s standout goalie Cleon Daskalakis.

The Terriers are off to their quickest start since that Beanpot championship year of 1978-79, entering tonight's shootout at 20-5, and on a roll. They've won seven of their last eight and their number three ranking in the East is eclipsed only by RPI and some high-flying Eagles from down the street.

B.C. flies into the Battle for Boston at 20-5, and on a similar six-out-of-the-last-eight streak. The Eagles secured their place as the East's premier team almost a month ago with an overtime win against Daskalakis & Co.

In that January 11 meeting at B.C.'s McHugh Forum, the Eagles and Terriers fought like birds and dogs before Tim Mitchell plastered the puck all over the back of the Terrier net to give the hosts a 4-3 win. His goal with just 1 40 left in the extra period gave the Eagles the decision in Round One.

Round Two figures to be nothing less than a classic B.U.-B.C. street-fight, with both teams planning to use every type of checking but the one in the bank to gain a berth in what very well could be an anti-climactic final next Monday.

"It'll be a typical B.C.-B.U. game," Eagle Assistant Coach Steve Cedorchuck says, "Except it'll be in front of a few thousand fans. The intensity will be there and the rivalry will be there. It'll just come down to how well each team takes advantage of its opportunities."

Which is the very reason the 1983 Pot titlists have emerged as the slight favorite to repeat as Beanpot champions. The Cardiac Kids have taken advantage of every opportunity while winning eight of nine in overtime this year and snagging 11 one-goal wins. The most surprising thing of it all is that B.C. Coach Len Cegtarald entered the hospital this year with back pains and not a company.

"We've won more then our share of close games," Cedorchuck admits.

Leading the B.C. coronary unit are forwards Scott Harlow (18 goals and 14 assists), Ed Rausco (9 and 18) and Billy McDonough (8 and 15). In cress one falters, have faith, B.C. fare--they're all on different lines.

Back on defense, sophomore goatherd Scott Gordon's 3.45 goals-against average is more than respectable and his 16-4 record is more than even Cegalarski and his crew had backed on.

But if there's a goalie in the house who'll make a difference, he'll probably be wearing Scarlet and While. And the guys in Maroon and Gold have a thing to settle with them.

It was Daskalakis, the Terriers' soon-to-be All-American goalie, who almost single-handedly defeated the Eagles, 3-1, in the Beanpot championship game two years ago. So when the Eagles finally beat Daskalakis for the first time in five tries earlier this year, it was nice. To beat him in the Garden would be nicer.

Up front, freshman John Coulees (15 points and 19 assists) leeds the way, followed by senior Mark Pierog (15 and 13). Defenders T. J. Connolly and Scott Shaunesey make up the final frontier before Daskalakisland.

If there's one thing the two squads have in common it's their offense. "Both teams have had a lot of problems scoring," Cedorchuck says. "The team that converts early will have a good shot."

And the team that converts early and often will have a better shot--to find itself one week later in what this year is only called the championship.