B.U. Edges B.C.; N.U. Blasts Harvard

Terriers Win

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

Scott Shaunessy's finest shot of the Boston University Boston college 1984 Beanpot nighteap last night at the Boston Garden came with just 243 to play. That forearm jab to the head of B. C's Jim Herlihy sent Herlihy to his knees. It sent Shaunessy to the to the sin bin.

And it almost sent Boston University down to defeat in one of the most maniacal finishes in 'Pot history.

Luckily for the Terriers, though, Celon Daskalskis throws out better saves than Shaunessy throws out punches. And in the face of a madhouse that had B.C. with a two-man advantage for that final 2:43. Daskalakis recorded seven saves to preserve the most precarious of 6-5 victories for the Terriers.

The wild finish came after B.U. jumped out to a shocking 4-0 lead in the first period and then held on for dear life in the last two. The triumph assured the Terriers of a trip to the championship game at 8:30 p.m. next Monday and a date there with Northeastern, 7-3 victors over Harvard in last night's opener.

It was the nightcap that drew all the attention on this particular night, though. And for the fans who thought the Terriers' 6-3 lead with just over 10 minutes left had it all wrapped up, their premature departures came before the true drama ever unfolded.

B.U.'s three-goal lead was cut to two with only 7 39 left, when the Eagles' Kevin Houle found his stick on a Jim Herlihy slapshot and surprised not only Daskalakis but also himself when the biscuit found its way into the back of the B.U. net.

Five minutes later, the circus turned into a zoo.

A tripping penalty on B.U.'s Kevin Mutch sent him to the sidelines. Brad McGregor joined him less than a minute later. And when Shampessey showcased his fine boxing abilities, the B.U. penalty boy was more crowded than the night's early game.

With B.C. on its two-man advantage. Dommic Campedell; sent a rocket past Daskalakis with 1-38 to go. The B.U. lead had suddenly dwindled to one and B.C. still had its 5 on 3.

But the B.U. Godsend--who turned away 42 shots on the night and upped his record to 51 against the Eagles--recorded save after save in the frantic closing seconds, which gave everyone in the house but the Canton. Mass native a coronary.

"I was too tired to get nervous," Daskalakis said afterwards, clutching his father's out-stretched hand.

THE NOTEBOOK The B.U. win reversed a B.C. 4-3 overtime victory at McHugh Forum back in January B.C. will face Harvard in the consolation game before next week's title game. Boston University S. Boston College 5 At the Boston Garden Boston University  4  0  2--6 Boston College  0  1  4--5

BU Paul Gertitz (Scott Shaunessy, Kevin Mutch), 1.02. BU. Mutch (Peter Marshall, Gertitz), 4.00. BU. Denis Legarde (Joe Capetlano, Chris Matchett), 9.23. BU. Chuck Sullivan (Lagarde), 11.34. BC. Dominic Campedelli (Jim Herliny), 18.38. BC. Scott Harlow (Campedelli Ed Rauseo), 0.27. BU. Joe Delaney (Sullivan, Capellano), 3.06. BC. Chris Delaney (Hertiny, Tim Mitchell), 3.19. BU. Tony Markozak (Cesare Cartacci, Mark Pierog), 10.58. BC. Kevin Houle (Hertiny, John McNamara), 12.21. BC. Campadelli (Rauseo), 18.22.

Saves--BU. Cleon Daskatakis 7-15-20--42 BC.

Scott Gordon 2-11-8--21.

Att--14.441

Scott Gordon 2-11-8--21.

Att--14.441