Pew Leads Stickwomen In 2-0 Win Over Providence

By Jeffrey A. Zucker

Bambi Taylor didn't think twice when Harvard field hockey Coach Edie Mabrey told her to take the shot.

She just kept walking, and called on the oldtimer instead.

Brace on knew stick in hand, Lili Pew answered.

Five years since her initial debut on Soldiers Field, Pew yesterday (sort of) came home and (really) popped home the Harvard squad's game-clinching goal.

Her first score ever, Pew's rocket off the penalty stroke with just over 19 minutes to go gave Harvard its second goal of the day and padding enough for a 2-0 Crimson victory over Providence College.

The impressive win before 50 fans--who saw the Cantabs completely dominate from start to finish--raised Harvard's record to 2-0 and demonstrated why most consider this the finest team in Crimson field hockey history.

One of the chief reasons for that early season billing is a host of experienced players, though none probably compares with the oldtimer.

After a year's absence because of a devastating knee injury, Pew--who's the only 1981 player currently on the Harvard squad--yesterday was back on Soldiers Field for just the second time since 1982. Formerly a midfielder, the Philadelphia native now calls the defense her home.

But when Taylor came calling, Pew came running.

Up from her defensive position, the senior studied the ball, studied the goalie and smacked home the score.

"I just thought she was going to make it," Taylor said, explaining why she shrugged off Mabrey's instructions.

More than that, though, the talented Taylor--who makes penalty shots by rote--probably knew a score would bring back the confidence that was Pew's trademark before the lacrosse accident that injured her knee.

After the game, there was little doubt Taylor's decision to pass the buck had done the trick.

"It's just such a confident feeling," an exuberant Pew said.

Brace on knee, Pew didn't get much work other than the stroke, but that was through no fault of her own.

"I'm like a garbage collecter back on defense," Pew said, "and I only get to touch the ball when it gets through everyone else."

And with Ellen O'Neill and Michelle Ippolito turning in some superb performances up front yesterday, Pew didn't have much garbage to collect.

O'Neill and Ippolito keyed the midfield game, while senior Andy Mainelli took care of things in from of the goal. Last year's leading Harvard scorer, Mainelli tallied her third score of the young season when Gia Baressi found her wide open in front of the Providence goal.

That goal, with 24 minutes left to play, put Harvard on top, 1-0, and set the stage for Pew's penalty stroke five minutes later.

Lost in the fine offensive display was the outstanding play of freshman goalie Kristin Abely, who recorded the shutout in just her second collegiate game.

"Kristin is playing a lot older than she is," Mainelli says of the Yardling, who stopped into goal in Saturday's season-opening 2-1 win over Vermont just two days after she first showed up at practice.