Bernstein Ends Feud With Bok

Maestro to Resume Giving After Three-Year Protest

By Noam S. Cohen

Leonard Bernstein '39 will begin making contributions to a scholarship fund in his name this year, ending the world-renowned conductor's three-year self-imposed estrangement from his alma mater's cultural and financial affairs.

Bernstein stopped donating money to a scholarship fund for he created in 1961 three years ago because President Derek C. Bok wrote an introduction to a book entitled "Living with Nuclear Weapons." Bernstein said he strongly disagreed with the policy set forth in the book and thought Bok's introduction gave undeserved credibility to the work.

But in an prepared speech delivered to a group of 70 undergraduates and Bok at the Adams House Junior Common Room, at 2 a.m. Saturday morning, Bernstein alluded to the dispute he had with the University and said that he was reconciled to his alma mater.

In Town for 350th

Bernstein's hour-and-a-half talk dealt with the Jewish High Holdays and the personal mandate that people apologize to those they have wronged in the past year.

The conductor and composer was in town to help celebrate Harvard's 350th anniversary. Bernstein delivered the speech after a dinner held in Memorial Hall.

At the speech's conclusion Bernstein embraced Bok, and Bok referred to one of Harvard's favorite sons as "maestro."

Bernstein's fund for music concentrators had a principal of $372,000 in July, 1985 said John H. Hanselman, an official with the College Fund. Hanselman said that the fund accrued more than $20,000 a year to help finance scholarships for music concentrators at the college.

The former conductor of the New York Philharmonic orchestra was unavailable for comment. Hanselman did not know Bernstein's annual contribution to the fund.