Dateline America:

Look Beyond the Beltway

By Jonathan M. Moses

JAMES YOUNG, in his book The Washington Community, presents our nation's capitol as a place removed from the concerns of the rest of America, one where politicians spend most of their time squabbling among themselves. Young was describing the period of American history at the beginning of the 19th Century known as the "Era of Good Feelings." Today the politicians of Washington seem remarkably similar to their Jeffersonian-era ancestors. Lawmakers squabble among themselves for committee assignments, everyone wants to know who knew what and when, and rather than actually venturing into the hinterlands, polls keep the legislative and executive branches informed on national trends.

Instead of the marshes and rivers of Jefferson's day separating Washingtonians from their constituents we now have a six-lane macadamized beltway. And there are plenty of goings-on within that circle to keep politicians occupied. Granted Reagan's foreign policy apparatus deserves a lot of attention in the upcoming election, but let's not forget that there are plenty of non-Washington based issues out there that also should be the focus of the upcoming campaigns.

BUT EVEN when the possible candidates address these non-Washington concerns they have failed to do so with vigor. Indeed perhaps the saddest thing about this year's crop of presidential timber is that few of them seem to be morally outraged. Every problem has a practical explanation and solution. And everything seems to be tied to economic competitiveness. Even when Gary Hart, the leading Democratic presidential candidate, argues that we should improve the nation's schools, he says it's because our Gross National Product is suffering.

So as the nation's leading politicians venture out onto the campaign trail like four-year locusts here is a guide map to some domestic problems that ought to evoke some outrage and get some knees jerking.

Hormel, Mn.--Laborers for the Hormel meatpacking corporation have been striking for more than a year now and are still being ignored by their union. Even though this lock out, a culmination of Reagan's union-busting philosophy, is slowly being forgotten, the strike may bring new life to the labor movement by encouraging the development of grass roots labor organizations.

Yet these strikers are still being unjustly treated and deserve more attention than just an occasional news story or editorial. A visit to these picket lines by a presidential candidate would do more than just lift morale.

Forsyth County, Georgia, Howard Beach, N.Y., Medford, Mass., Newton, Mass., Amherst, Mass., Cambridge, Mass. and many other hamlets--Racism seems to becoming an expected part of life in America once again. It used to be taboo, but not any more. Sadly, it seems that some of the biggest bigots around today are college students. And the state with the most racist activity? Massachusetts. Governor Michael S. Dukakis must do more than issue reports on specific racist incidents especially now that he is a prominent presidential probable. Dukakis has a chance for real leadership in fighting the resurgence of racism, a fact of life which most people find much more comfortable to ignore. As one women in Howard Beach said, "What do you want, another '60s?" Perhaps we need that same spirit. Let's hope our presidential candidates don't determine racism too politically dangerous to handle.

Inner cities, poor rural areas and apparently even suburbs--It's no longer a question of students graduating high school with 5th-grade reading levels. Many young people can't even read at all. The author and teacher Jonathan Kozol has said that more than 25 million Americans are illiterate. If people are unable to read, our entire democracy is in danger.

Urban America--Every night we can see homeless individuals curled on grates trying to get get warm or sleeping on park benches. Homelessness is a problem all over the country and it is not enough for altruistic individuals, institutions or even local governments to try and fight this problem. The federal government most get involved and--I hesitate to say the words--spend some money.

THE REAGAN era is a dull age. Americans have become doped on the mystique that this former movie actor sells. We drink Classic Cokes, listen to classic hits and wear classically tailored clothes. But dullness is not fought with boring, unemotional candidates. If the nation is to wake to the needs of it people, there must be a candidate with rough edges on which we can sharpen the blade of American political consciousness.