Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Roby Turned Down For Army Position

Cagers' Coach Will Return to Harvard

By Michael R. Grunwald

Harvard men's basketball Coach Peter Roby confirmed yesterday that he has been turned down for the head coaching job at the United States Military Academy and will return to the Crimson next season. According to Roby, Army has chosen former Cornell and Colorado Coach Tom Miller, a West Point graduate, to take over the Cadets' reins.

"I felt all along like I was in a no-lose situation," Roby said. "It would have been nice to know I was their first choice. I'm flattered that they thought of contacting me. Right now, I'm more interested in getting the team going in the right direction for next season."

Noted for his recruiting skills, the former Army assistant has compiled a 49-81 record in five years at Harvard, including a disappointing 12-14 mark last season. With forwards Ralph James and Ron Mitchell among the top returnees in the Ivy League, the pressure will be on the Crimson to cop its first-ever Ivy crown next season.

"I've been here three years, and at least two of those years, we've had the most talent in the league," guard Ian Smith said. "We've been capable of annihilating other teams, but the chemistry hasn't been there. We as players have to come together as a team regardless of who's at the helm.

"I personally have feelings of apathy over Roby's return," Smith added. "I'm more concerned about the psyche of the team, which has to improve for us to be champions."

Mick Stern contributed to the reporting of this article.