Police: No Progress In Frug Investigation

Stabbing Motive, Suspect Still Sought

By Ira E. Stoll

Investigation into last Thursday's fatal stabbing of Bunting Fellow Mary Joe Frug is continuing, but investigators still have no motive or suspect, a spokesperson for the district attorney's office said yesterday.

More than 200 people have been interviewed so far during the course of the investigation, said the spokesperson, Jill Reilly.

Students from both Harvard Law School, where Frug's husband Gerald is a professor, and the New England School of Law, where Frug was a professor before she came to Radcliffe's Bunting Institute, have been questioned, according to Reilly.

Reilly denied reports that the investigation was centering on Gerald E. Frug's Harvard Law School students. She said that because there was still "no motive and no suspect" in the slaying in Cambridge's wealthy Brattle St. neighborhood, it is incorrect to characterize the scope of the investigation as narrowing in any way.

Results from laboratory analysis of a hunting knife and other trace evidence found at the scene were not yet available, Reilly said. The only description of the assailant remains a white male with dark hair and dark clothing, approximately six feet tall and in his 20s.

More than 1000 friends, colleagues and students of Frug attended a commemorative service in Memorial Church on Monday.

The stabbing came the same week as police reported a Linnean St. rape and three other assaults on women in the Cambridge area.

These incidents have revived debate over the issue of campus security. (see related story, page 3.)