Guess What? The Second Half Blues Are Back

Trains of Thought

By John B. Trainer, Crimson Staff Writer

Just when you thought it was not psychologically damaging to root for the Harvard football team...

The second-half collapse has returned.

After much speculation that the monkey might have been a one-season phenomenon, it is now clear that it was just hibernating for the summer. Now it is awake, free and firmly attached to the team's back.

The latest exhibit is Harvard's performance against Holy Cross. After a sensational first half in which the defense allowed just 82 yards and five points, the Crusaders piled up 343 second half yards (130 by third-string tailback Shawn Sierra) to win, 30-7.

The week before that, Harvard played William and Mary to a 16-10 halftime deficit, a score that could have been 13-10 for Harvard had the team not allowed a blocked field goal to be returned for a touchdown. But in the second half, 170 second half rushing yards (62 by Troy Keen, the third-string tailback) secured a 36-16 Tribe win.

The week before that, there was no such collapse but Columbia made it interesting before falling, 27-20.

And last year...well, Harvard's second-half performances last year produced a sinking feeling rivaled only by the Titanic. Not even Harvard's 24-7 halftime lead over eventual Ivy champ Dartmouth was safe, as Dartmouth came back to tie, 31-31.

The surprising thing is that Harvard Coach Joe Restic denies the second-half collapse even exists. Asked about the Holy Cross game, Restic talked about a lack of execution and the talent of the Crusader squad. Pressed further, he responded:

"It's partially their good play, but it's not all one-sided. We helped them to a degree out there, letting them get some sparks in their offense," Restic said.

The players, on the other hand, talk about the phenomenon openly. Instead concentrating on execution, however, they cite mental breakdowns, fatigue and emotion.

"Our offense killed our defense," junior tight end Read Hubbard said after the Holy Cross game. "The defense was just tired."

"It's the same thing as last week," senior linebacker J.J. Vasquez mourned after the Holy Cross game. "I don't know if it's a mental breakdown or what...I know I have the same mindset in the second half. I guess it's tough to get up for every play."

"I don't know" is a very common phrase used to describe the team's second half problems.

Is it fatigue? Can this team only play 30 minutes?

Is it a collective mental breakdown? Does the team need a shrink?

Is it Restic's halftime speeches?

Is it the shoes?

Nobody knows what's happening. If someone did, there wouldn't be a problem.

But until someone finds a real answer, Harvard fans will be alternately treated to great football and bad football. After the first 30 minutes of every contest, the Other Crimson will come out.

One half, Harvard looks like a real contender for the Ancient Eight crown, but the next half it looks like the hapless Columbia squad of the late '80s.

It's more frustrating than trying to debate Ross Perot. The team hates it.

"We know we can play and play very well," senior linebacker Monte Giese said. "If we can play like that, we can do some serious damage in the Ivy League. I don't know why we can't play like that all the time. I don't know if the coaches know. I don't know if anybody knows."

Do you know?