Dems Elect Board

By Wendy M. Seltzer, Contributing Reporter

Following the lead of the national electorate, the Harvard-Radcliffe Democrats elected a new executive board last night.

Matthew J. Strong '95, the new president, called the coming year a "transition period" for the Democratic party and for the club. Strong noted that Governor Bill Clinton's election moves the club from the position of opposition it has occupied for 12 years to a supporting role.

Those joining Strong on the new executive board include Vice President John B. King '96, Co-Chairs Justin P. O'Brien '94, and Deirdre A. Long '94, Treasurer Monica E. Antezana '96 and Secretary Andrew J. Ehrlich '96.

"[It is time to] chart a new course, not only for our country, but for our party and our club," King said in a speech prior to the election. "Conceive it, believe it, achieve it," he said, citing the Rev. Jesse Jackson's call to action.

Many candidates said that they wanted to give the club new direction, expanding membership and extending support to local Democrats, but their views did not differ radicallly from those of their predecessors.

Ehrlich, who called himself a "fresh face" with "practical experience," was one of seven first-years elected to the 12-member board.