Gore Says Harvard Should Save Earth

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson Staff Writer

Sen. Albert Gore Jr. '69 (D-Tenn.) issued an environmentalist call to action Friday evening at the first-ever public lecture sponsored by the new University Committee on Environmental Studies.

Gore, who is also a Harvard overseer, told the crowd of about 500 that the University should head up efforts to make the changes necessary to save the endangered Earth.

"Universities and students must now lead the way to this change. I hope that Harvard will be a major part," Gore said.

The senator said he was "extremely impressed" with a recent student Environmental Action Committee report on the state of the University with respect to the environment. He also endorsed student calls for more new courses and resources to be included in a planned Environmental Studies concentration.

The need for environmentalism goes far beyond Harvard Yard, however, Gore said.

"Saving the Earth's environment is now emergingas the central organizing principle of thepost-Cold War world," Gore said. "The Earth summitin Rio is the designated time and place for thistask to begin."

Gore criticized President Bush for guttingagreements that were to be singed at Rio. "Asymbolic appearance without any meaningful changein policy amounts to nothing," Gore said.

Gore also sharply attacked President Bush forhis opposition to global population control, andcharged that the president was motivated solely bypolitical expediency in his opposition to birthcontrol.

"We are now absolutely opposed to any globalpopulation control programs. That's stupid. Iwould change that," Gore said.

The population explosion is a major factor inthe Earth's crisis, according to Gore. He saidother factors include the scientific andtechnological revolution and "our way ofthinking...the assumption that we are separatefrom the Earth and its ecosystem."

Gore's reference for the talk ranged from MelBrooks, Yogi Berra and the rock group Dire Straitsto Vaclav Havel and the scientists studying polarice caps.

The speech was interrupted frequently byappaluse and laughter. Gore's humor was not loston the audience, and the final reward was a30-second standing ovation for the speaker