Harvard Lags on Sci-Tech Issues

Some Intro Science Courses Are Taught 'Abysmally,' Rudenstine Tells 25th Reunion

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard must remedy its problems in science and technology, University officials told the 25th reunion class at a symposium yesterday.

President Neil L. Rudenstine said he has both heard about and visited introductory science and math courses at Harvard. "Some of them are taught pretty abysmally," he said.

Rudenstine also said the University is "about a decade behind," in information technology.

Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Jeremy R. Knowles, who appeared together with Rudenstine and Radcliffe President Linda S. Wilson on the welcoming panel for the 25th reunion, agreed that Harvard is not exactly on the forefront of academic computing.

Knowles called the issue one of the "ticking clocks" he found when he was named dean. "Our institution had been a little bit sluggish, perhaps, in bringing technology into the classroom," Knowles said.

Rudenstine said that by being behind in the field, Harvard has avoided spending money on computers. But he said that trend will end soon.

Two committees are now at work on analyzing the issues and deciding how the University can be brought up to speed. In a recent interview, Rudenstine said he is likely to name a new high level administrator to coordinate new developments in computers and information technology.

The panel discussion was not entirely devoted to sober talk about science and computers, however. There was also sober talk from Rudenstine about the planning process, from Knowles about his budget and from Wilson about plans to get Radcliffe more involved in public policy areas.

Still, there was no lack of levity in Sanders Theatre yesterday morning.

Jokes about the morning's pouring rain abounded.

Provost-designate Jerry R. Green was awarded an honorary membership on the University golf team.

Rudenstine joked that the 50th reunion classhelped him put everything in perspective. Thepresident said he can relax at dinner with theclass, because, "whatever the Law School may bedoing to me, it ain't doing nothing to them."

And Knowles recalled that one year ago, he wason the telephone with Wilson, telling her that hisrecommendation to the Corporation as dean was agrave secret. Then, Knowles said, he saw the day'sCrimson, with a banner headline announcing hisimpending appointment.

"I want you to know, investigative journalismlives. We may do some things wrong, but not that,"Knowles said to laughter