5000 Enroll Today

Summer Session To Stress Unity

By David S. Kurnick, Crimson Staff Writers

Eight weeks of sun and studying begin today, as approximately 5000 students register for summer school.

Administrators and proctors have been looking forward to the summer with excitement, and in some cases, trepidation.

Christopher S. Queen, dean of students for the summer school, said he wants this year's student body to be more unified than in past summers. Foreign students, who make up one quarter of the class, are a group he would like to see interact more with the general student body.

"We're trying to promote combined activities with American and international students," Queen said. These activities will include a Model United Nations program and a soccer program for all students.

Last year the foreign students played in a more advanced soccer league, but they will be mixed with Americans this year.

"Hopefully, the European and Latin American students who are so good can show us a thing or two," good can show us a thing or two," Queen said."And who knows, maybe we'll impress them."

Excursions to Cape Cod and Tanglewood are onthe agenda for the summer students, as well ascollege-hunting trips for the high schoolstudents. The Harvard Summer Orchestra plans togive three free concerts in air-conditionedSanders Theatre, which are expected to be popular.

But the summer session will not be all fun andgame, Queen said. In addition to class work, somestudents will have to deal with the extensive Yardrenovation work that will continue all summer. Thedrilling, digging and pipe installation will beginevery morning at approximately 7:30 a.m., Queensaid.

"People will be looking for refuge early in themorning," he said. "Maybe Hilles library willbecome popular."

Proctors Arrive

For summer school proctors, Wednesday wasmoving day. As they unloaded car trunks andsuitcases, many of the were looking forward toHarvard-without-the-homework.

"I'm excited to be in Boston not during theregular school year," said Brian M. Reed '92.Laura F. Harris '94 also said she would enjoy thecity, adding that she wanted to "go to thoseplaces in Cambridge that you always walk by duringthe year and think, `I don't have time to gothere.'"

Proctors spent Thursday and yesterday inorientation from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. to prepare forthe arrival of the summer school students. Afterthe long days, most proctors said they wereanxious to meet the students assigned to them.

"I just like being with students that age,"said Madeline A. Whalen '93 about the secondaryschool students. "They look to you for advice,"she said.

And Ankur U. Saraiya '94 agreed, "I'm lookingforward to bonding with my students ... I hopethey don't have any attitude problems."

Several proctors explained that their role wasto serve as the "intermediate person" between thestudents and the University.

"It's almost like freshman year over again, butyou're on the opposite end," said Robert C. Rhew'92. "We're their umbilical cord.

Proctors Arrive