Democrats Kick Off National Convention

Speakers Preach Unity Amidst Brown Protests

By Ira E. Stoll, Special to The Crimson

NEW YORK--Trumpets blaring, signs waving and flashes popping, the Democratic Party opened its 1992 national convention here yesterday with an evening session stressing party unity, women's issues and the achievability of the American dream.

Speakers pounded home these themes and leveled attack after attack against President Bush--who they said is neglecting the country's ills.

Efforts to project an image of party unity were not fully successful. Wile speakers proclaimed solidarity from the podium, signs and chants on the floor demanded that former Calif. Gov. Edmund G. Brown Jr. be allowed to address the convention. Runner-up Brown has yet to endorse the presumptive nominee, Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton.

As Democratic National Committee Chair Ronald H. Brown declared that "never in a generation have we Democrats been so united," Brown supporters on the floor chanted "Let Jerry Speak."

The chants could be clearly heard throughout Madison Square Garden and on the national television broadcast.

On the convention floor, the battle over a Brown appearance played itself out in hundreds of individual skirmishes. Clinton and Brown supporters in the California, Connecticut and Florida delegations fought to block each others' signs.

Ronald Brown said yesterday morning that the former California governor would not be allowed to speak if he did not endorse Clinton.

Carlos M. Alcala, a 1973 graduate of Harvard Law School and a Brown delegate from Sacramento, Calif., said that when party leaders talk about "unity," they mean "uniformity." According to Alcala, "there's a difference."

Acala said the Brown protests would go on forthe rest of the convention or until his candidateis allowed to address the delegates.

For their part, Clinton supporters said theyfeared the vocal Brown delegates would only hurtthe Democratic Party's chances in November.

"The only thing they can do is divide the partyand keep the Democratic ticket from winning theWhite House," said Clinton supporter Wilbur T.Peer, an Arkansas resident who was held a Clintonsign in front of Brown placards in the Californiadelegation.

While shouting over Brown supporters, Democratson the elaborate red, white and blue podiumconstructed for the convention tried to bring homethe party's positions on women's issues and theeconomy. They also mercilessly bashed the ticketof President Bush and Vice President Dan Quayle.

Women's issues were highlighted by six womenDemocratic Senatorial candidates who addressed theconvention last night.

"I always wanted to be one of many, and nowthat time has come," said Sen. Barbara Mikulski(D-Md.), now the only female Democrat in theSenate.

Two of the Senatorial candidates, along withMikulski, referred to last fall's Senate JudiciaryCommittee confirmation hearings on Supreme CourtJustice Clarence Thomas, then a nominee. OklahomaUniversity Law Professor Anita Hill charged thatThomas had sexually harassed her.

If are elected to the Senate, Mikulski said,"never again, when a woman comes forward before aUnited States Senate committee, will she ever beassaulted for telling the truth."

Many speakers at last night's session alsohammered home the point that Democratic candidatesare pro-choice on adortion.

The keynote speakers, Sen. Bill Bradley(D.-N.J.), Georgia Gov. Zell Miller and formerTexas Representative Barbara Jordan, all spoke ofthe "American dream," specifically in relation toeconomic issues.

Bradley and Miller both quoted from the poetLangston Hughes.

"Let America be America again. Let it be thedream it used to be," Bradley quoted. "Let it bethe dream it can be."

Bradley, who once played basketball for the NewYork Knick in Madison Square Garden, saidPresident Bush has "waffled and wiggled andwavered" on important issues.

"Tonight in America, wages are flat,unemployment is up, the deficit grows and healthcare and college costs skyrocket. What did you doabout it, George Bush?" Bradley asked.

Miller said, "For millions, the American dreamhas become what the poet [Hughes] called a 'dreamdeferred'".

"Americans have seen plants closed down, jobsshipped overseas and our hopes fade away as oureconomic position collapses right before our veryeyes...And George Bush doesn't get it," Millersaid.

Jordan also touched on the subject, saying,"The American dream is not dead. It is gasping forbreath, but it is not dead." She said theDemocratic party and Clinton will enact thechanges that can restore the dream.

Many speakers went negative, slamming Bush forincompetence, inefficiency, inaction andindifference.

"The evidence of this administration'swillingness to inflame the wounds that it shouldheal is everywhere," Bradley said. "Fear, divisionand the death of hope--these are the fruits ofRepublican rule."

Texas Gov. Ann W. Richards made reference toher now-famous keynote address from 1988, ("GeorgeBush was born with a silver foot in his mouth.")

"I spoke to you all four years ago," Richardtold the delegates, "And I really hate to say it,but I told you so."

But the speakers didn't confine their assaultsto Bush. Quayle's misspelling of "Potato" lastmonth was mentioned half a dozen times. AndMiller, who was raised by his mother, agreed withthe vice president that it is good for children tohave two parents.

"You bet it is," Miller said. "It would be goodif they could all have trust funds, too. But wecan't all be rich and handsome and lucky. That'swhy we have a Democratic party."

Miller was the only keynoter to attack RossPerot, saying the Texas multibillionaire has beenmanipulating the government for his financialself-interest since the early 1970s.

"Instead of shaking the system up, Mr. Perot'sbeen shaking the system down," Miller said. "Hesays we ought to clean out the barn, but he's boonknee-deep in it for years."AP Wire PhotoGov. BILL CLINTON shakes hands during avisit to the Abrons Art Center in New York.