Managers Return Union Fire

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson Staff Writer

Management representatives struck back yesterday at the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers, accusing the union of "disinformation," and arguing that managers face difficulties in tough fiscal times.

The 3500-member union's contracts expired Tuesday, with negotiations bogged down amidst discussions of a wage increase.

In an interview yesterday, Provost Jerry R. Green said reporters that Business School Dean John H. McArthur and Medical School Dean Daniel C. Tosteson '44 are major obstacles to an agreement are "not true."

Green attributed the reporters to "a certain amount of disinformation that the union is spreading."

Management, which Green says is trying "as hard as possible" to move the negotiations along, brought along three financial administrators to yesterday's bargaining session.

The move appeared to be an attempt to counter the union presentation during Monday's negotiations. On Monday, four union workers told stories of their trouble surviving and supporting families on the present union wages, which average $23,000 a year.

Yesterday, there were different stories, asCandace R. Corvey, Frances A. Beane and Nancy A.Dunn joined the management negotiation team. Thethree are financial administrators in the Facultyof Arts and Sciences, the University Art Museumsand Radcliffe College, respectively.

According to union President Donene M.Williams, the managers told of "the difficultbudgeting process during a time of fiscalrestraint."

"It was very, very sad," Williams said. ButWilliams said there is "absolutely no comparison"between the difficulties administrators face from9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and the difficulties that unionmembers face in their real lives.

As the union and management negotiating teamsleft Memorial Hall yesterday they were greeted bya crowd of rank and file union members.

Lead Organizer Kris Rondeau told the ralliedmembers to keep up the public pressure. "They'regetting sick of all this stuff and they'rebeginning to want a deal," she said.

Also yesterday, David M. Bray, executive deanfor administration at Harvard Medical School,spoke to the press for the first time about hisrole in the negotiations. Sources have said Brayis a "surly" obstacle to a wage increase forworkers.

Bray said, "How would I know how othersperceive my rather rotund figure?"

On the subject of the purported administrativesplit, Bray said, "I don't think there's any splitin the University at all." He said he representsthe entire University in the negotiations, not anyspecific Medical School interest.

Bray was an hour late for today's negotiatingsession, according to sources close to thenegotiations. He was more than 30 minutes late fora two-hour session on Monday.

The next negotiating sessions are scheduled forThursday and Friday of next week. President NeilL. Rudenstine, who was criticised by Union leadersfor his absense while the contract expired, willreturn July 8