Harvard figures Cited As Local Superlatives

By David S. Kurnick, Crimson Staff Writer

Boston Magazine released its annual list of the best and worst the Hub has to offer this week, and two of Harvard's most recent additions received conspicuous mention.

The magazine christened President Neil L. Rudenstine the "Best Rookie CEO," but labelled the new Inn at Harvard the worst example of new local architecture.

Rudenstine responded to the designation yesterday with modesty, saying he was "vastly overrated," and that "rockies are nothing."

The magazine slammed the University's newly constructed hotel, saying it resembles a "plywood prop from Universal Studios and feels like an upscale hospital inside."

Rick Bechtel, the architect who oversaw the project for the Cambridge firm Graham Gund, said he thought the distinction simply reflected the magazien editors' individual tastes.

"Architecture is a funny thing," he said." Some people like things, some people don't [it's] an art form that's very subjective."

But Bechtel said the damning publicity doesn't worry him. "I guess they'vegot to choose a best and worst, and they chose[the Inn]," he said. "We've received lots ofpositive comments about it."

The magazine singled out several other HarvardSquare establishments for accolades, Harvardlandmark Au Bon Pain was named the source ofBoston's "Best Cup O'Joe."

Au Bon Pain Vice President Louis J. Basileattributed the distinction to his chain's recentchange in coffee brands. The eatery now serves Thecoffee Connection's Java.

"Obviously we're really thrilled," Basil said."To have won this honor validates our feeling thatit's great to sell a quality product."

Some designees reacted to the praise withgreater detachment. Aki R. Ibrahim, the manager ofthe recently re-opened Algiers Coffee House inBrattle Square, said he was "very pleased" but notat all surprised that his shop was named the "BestNew (Old) Cafe."

"We knew we were the best anyway," Ibrahimsaid.

And the manager of Toscanini's and ice creamshop in Central Square, said he was not entirelythrilled with his establishment's flattering writeup.

"We were a little disappointed overall," saidTroy D. Thompson. He said the summary ignoredToscanini's distinctively "sophisticated" tone.

"Our mentality here is to be a little differentfrom Ben 'n' Jerry or Herrels, where they have alot of colors, lots of kid flavors," Thompsonsaid. "The special flavors [Boston magazine]mentioned were like chocolate cookie dough,flavors with a lot of candies and gooeys, anddon't do that."

La Flamme barber shop, whose skilledcoiffurists received kudos from the magazine,reacted more enthusiastically. GeorgePapalimberis, the store's proprietor, put hisexcitement succinctly.

"I'm very happy," he said.

Other local landmarks that made the gradeincluded Out of Town News and the Mass. AveBrazilian restaurant, Pampas. Goeman, a Japaneseeatery in Kendall Square, also received notice forits noodle supremacy

"I'm very happy," he said.