State Accepts Psychiatrist's Resignation

Harvard's Bean-Bayog Gives Up Medical License, Ends Six-Month Inquiry

By Stephen E. Frank, Crimson Staff Writer

The state board of medicine Friday accepted a Harvard psychiatrist's unconditional resignation of her medical license, ending a six month inquiry that included charges of bizarre psychiatric techniques and doctor-patient sex.

As a result of the resignation, Dr. Margaret Bean-Bayog '65, an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, will no longer be permitted to practice medicine in the United States. She may, however, continue to work as a psychotherapist.

The Harvard psychiatrist was accused of gross professional misconduct in her treatment of Paul Lozano, a Harvard Medical School student who committed suicide last year after four years of therapy with Bean-Bayog.

In a malpractice suit made public last spring, Lozano's family charged that Bean-Bayog had an affair with Lozano while he was in her care and used unorthodox techniques to regress the medical student to the psychological state of a three-year-old.

Bean-Bayog vigorously denied the charges, though she admitted to having had sexual fantasies about Lozano. The case, which garnered national media attention, was scheduled for a public hearing before the medical board today.

The hearing was to be held in a State House auditorium, broadcast on cable television and attended by members of the national press corps.

In a last-ditch effort to avoid furtherpublicity, Bean-Bayog first offered to give upher license in a lengthy letter submitted to thestate board on Thursday. The unappealableresignation was a far stronger step than the boardwould likely have taken.

Officials rejected that settlement, however,arguing that the doctor's defiant statement failedto acknowledge any misconduct.

Bean-Bayog's second letter-submitted to theboard on Friday and accepted that same day in aunanimous vote--was a simple statement in whichshe gave up the license unconditionally, effectiveNovember 20.

"I desire to resign my license to practicemedicine," Bean-Bayog wrote.

Board Officials Pleased

Board officials said that Friday's statementwas what they wanted to see.

"[The Friday] resignation was in conformitywith our regulations," said Paul Gitlin, vicechair of the state Board of Registration inMedicine. "What we got...was [a resignation] thatwas permanent, unconditional, and we accepted it."

Though the resignation concludes the officialinvestigation into Bean-Bayog's conduct, it doesnot affect the civil charges pending against her.

The psychiatrist's future relation ship withHarvard Medical School remains unclear. Bean-Bayogwas placed on administrative leave and her nameremoved from referral lists on May 1, shortlyafter the charges were first uncovered.

This story was compiled with wire servicereports

Board Officials Pleased