Princeton, Penn Roll Forward

Elias, Daniels Are Players of the Week

By John B. Trainer

Three weeks into the Ivy League football season, Pennsylvania is emerging as a unexpected contender for the Ivy crown, but Princeton still looms on top as the team to beat this year.

Although the Quakers (3-0 overall, 1-0 Ivy) boast both the Defensive Player of the Week in cornerback James Daniels and Rookie of the Week in wide receiver Miles Macik, the Tigers have running back Keith Elias--whose 164 rushing yards per game is tops in Division I-AA. Princeton's defense is ranked eighth in the country.

Against Holy Cross, the Tigers jumped up to a 31-0 lead and sat Elias for most of the second half.

Pennsylvania, the only other undefeated team in the Ivies, needed 20 unanswered second-half points to come back against Fordham Saturday, with quarterback Jim McGeehan tossing an 11-yard touchdown to Macik in the closing minutes for the win.

Yale nearly pulled off a major upset against 16th-ranked Central Florida, leading by one point in the final minute. Driving into the end zone, the UCF fullback fumbled the ball at the Yale 5-yard line but the apparent miscue turned into a touchdown when the ball bounced through the hands of a Yale lineman and was corralled by a UCF receiver who took it in for the score.

In a similar game, Columbia was up by 17 points at Colgate before the Red Raiders scored three touchdowns in four minutes of play. The winning socre came on a 32-yard run with just 1:08 remaining.

After Brown exploded for 45 points last week, Rhode Island held their Bears to just seven points and 32 yards of total offense.